Chapter 8 : To The Camp

Start of recap...

[Thranduil:] “I can see you know nothing of wizards. They are like winter thunder on a wild wind rolling in from a distance, breaking hard in alarm. But sometimes a storm is just a storm.”

[Gandalf:] “Not this time. Armies of orcs are on the move. And these are fighters! They have been bred for war. Our enemy has summoned his full strength.”

[Thranduil:] “Why show his hand now?”

[Gandalf:] “Because we forced him! We forced him when the company of Thorin Oakenshield set out to reclaim their homeland. The dwarves were never meant to reach Erebor; Azog the Defiler was sent to kill them. His master seeks control of the mountain. Not just for the treasure within, but for where it lies, its strategic position.”

As Gandalf talks, they have left the tent and walked outside to a spot from where they can clearly see the gates of Erebor.

[Gandalf:] “This is the gateway to reclaiming the lands of Angmar in the north. If that fell kingdom should rise again, Rivendell, Lothlorien, the Shire, even Gondor itself will fall!”

[Thranduil:] “These orc armies you speak of, Mithrandir - Where are they?”

Gandalf is unable to answer

End of recap...

Third person pov...

It is night; at the blocked off entrance to the gate, a rope is suddenly thrown over the edge.

Bilbo clambers hand-over-hand down the rope, slipping along the way. Calen was thrown over his back she was gripping him tightly so she wouldn't fall off.

He manages to climb across the moat using some of the rubble The Elfling still on his back. He begins running toward Dale.

Gandalf approaches Bard.

[Gandalf:] “You, Bowman! Do you agree with this? Is gold so important to you? Would you buy it with the blood of dwarves?!”

As the speak, Bilbo sneaks past some of the Laketown guards.

[Bard:] “It will not come to that. This is a fight they cannot win.”

Suddenly, Bilbo appears and addresses both of them.

[Bilbo:] “That won’t stop them. You think the dwarves will surrender - They won’t. They will fight to the death to defend their own.”

[Gandalf:] “Bilbo Baggins!”

Bilbo smiles happily, Calen then pokes her head out from behind Bilbos head and forced a smile out.

"I'm here too mr Gandalf" she spoke surprising the old Wizard.

"and Calen Baggins, what happened to you little one" he asked as he saw the scar on her face.

"it was Oakenshield Gandalf I saw him" said Bard he was glad to see the Elfling safe.

"Bard" cried the Elfling he then picked up the Elfling and sat her on a seat in Thranduils tent.