Chapter 11: Returning Home

Start from the beginning

"I was so worried."

"I know, mother." Reassuringly, Master Yin smiled and glanced over to Song Mengyao, "We have a lot we need to discuss. Call a meeting."

Lady Yin shook her head in refusal. "First, the two of you need to bathe and rest. Then we can discuss matters."

"I'll go get the physician!" Meixiu called out before rushing back into the estate.

Master Yin chuckled at his sister, glad to see that she was also worried about him.

The physician, thankfully, did not have too much work to do. They had both managed to avoid infection and had bandaged their wounds rather effectively. So, their wounds were simply redressed, and medicine was prescribed to help with the pain.

When they were both bathed and dressed, they returned to their rooms. Although, they were not apart for long as Master Yin was soon on his way to check on the prince.

"You should be resting." Master Yin came into the room quietly, smiling at the boy inside before sitting across from him.

There was a pot of tea on the table between them, a spare cup already set out on his side, as if the prince knew he was going to come.

"It's lotus tea, it has healing properties." Song Mengyao nudged his head, gesturing for Master Yin to pour himself a cup.

"It's good. Did you brew it yourself?"

The prince hummed. "I used to drink it a lot growing up, my mother always made it for me."

They sat quietly, enjoying the company of one another as they sipped at their tea. It was indeed good. Tea brewing seemed to be yet another talent the prince had hidden from him until now.

"How are you feeling?" Master Yin wanted to know that Song Mengyao was okay, he needed to know that he was alright after what had happened to them.

"Better. My head does not ache quite so much, and the bruise has almost gone."

"That is not what I mean."

Song Mengyao glanced up, a flash of discomfort tainting his features, and placed his tea back down on the table. Before replying, he stood up and turned back to Master Yin with a weak smile.

"I am fine, Master Yin. My wounds are healing, and we are no longer in danger. Everything is fine."

Yin Jianguo knew he was lying. His voice was rushed and his skin pale. He didn't want to talk about it, he didn't want to think about it. He had hated feeling as powerless as he had when their assailants turned their attention to him. It was shameful and embarrassing for him to have even found himself in such a situation, more so when he had to be rescued like a damsel in distress.

Master Yin also climbed back to his feet, stepping closer to the prince. Too close.

His words were almost sharp when he spoke, "You are not fine, Song Mengyao."

The prince steered him, ever so gently, toward the door. "I am alright, Master Yin. You should go back to your room and get some rest. We should both get some rest."

It was unusual to see the prince avoiding confrontation so desperately. Although, it seemed as though he did not really want him to leave. He was pushing him away, but he was not using any force at all.

Song Mengyao was not okay. It wasn't because of what had almost happened, nor was it because he feared it would happen again. No, he was not okay because Master Yin had been there. He had seen him so defenceless and vulnerable. It was because Master Yin had saved him from such a fate but still hadn't looked at him as though he were anything less.