Chapter 11: Returning Home

Start from the beginning

"You should try to meditate; it will help restore your Qi," Song Mengyao proposed, although the master only scrunched up his nose.

"I have never really been all that good at meditation. I like to think I am a patient man but when it comes to meditation my mind is always too distracted."

Song Mengyao sighed, "Meditation is vital for the cultivation of your inner strength. Your Qi will last longer if you practice proper meditation. You should try it now; you will recover your Qi much sooner if you continue to meditate for at least a few hours each day."

"A few hours? When will I have time for that? I'm the current leader of my Sect, I am far too busy to meditate for so long."

The Yin Sect had always been less spiritual than the others, relying more on physical devices and power rather than things they could not see. Although, Qi was never something seen but always something felt. He could feel his Qi, he knew how weak it was after he spent himself rescuing Song Mengyao. He knew it was important to recover it as soon as possible and yet, meditation still seemed pointless to him.

"You have time now. Don't simply sit there and rest, put this time to good use. When we return, meditate for at least a couple of hours a day until your Qi is fully restored. After that, an hour per day will do if you despise it so much," Song Mengyao informed, hoping that Yin Jianguo would heed his words. He was still worried about him, after all, and simply wanted to help in any way he could.

Master Yin scratched at his head before sitting up with a huff. He crossed his legs, straightened his back, and stretched his neck before closing his eyes. He had been taught how to meditate before when he was younger. In fact, it had been his mother who wanted him to learn. He knew how to do it, but his thoughts could never calm themselves. There was always another distraction.

Song Mengyao glanced back to find Yin Jianguo truly trying to do what he had asked of him. He smiled and focused back on the road, wishing to cause as little disturbance as possible.

The peace only lasted a few minutes before there was another huff from the elder male, "This is impossible. Song Mengyao, how do you do it so well?"

With a soft chuckle, the prince turned back around. "I simply clear my mind. Stop thinking of things and close your eyes."

The creases in Yin Jianguo's face disappeared once again as he closed his eyes and relaxed.

"Now, steady your breathing. In then out, slowly. Good. Clear your mind and focus on something else. Listen to the birds or the flow of the wind. Focus on only that."

Song Mengyao was a good teacher and, in seeing that Master Yin had gotten the hang of it after listening to his words, he returned his focus to the road once again.

***

Although the master had only managed to remain in a meditative state for around an hour, he could feel the difference it had made. He felt refreshed, even if only a small amount of his spiritual power was restored.

The road had, thankfully, been quiet so he had gotten an adequate rest. Although, he worried for Song Mengyao, who must have been equally as drained, especially after riding the wagon all day long.

By the time night fell, they were finally pulling up outside of the estate, back in familiar territory after too many days on their own. Not that they disliked being on their own, without the worries of official duties for a few days, but it had been a rough few days, to say the least.

After presumably being alerted to her son's return, Lady Yin came rushing outside along with Meixiu. She placed her hand against his cheek, resting the other on his shoulder as if trying to be sure he was truly there. It had only been a couple of days, but she had certainly heard about the ambush. Word would have reached her, even if only from a traveller passing through.