Chapter XXIV

I clung to consciousness by a thread. The burning of my wounds was forgotten as I clutched Christian's motionless body close.

Ghost had fled after tearing Christian apart. My focus had been so glued to the dying Beast that I hadn't noticed he was gone. The thin trail of blood he left was the sole indication of his absence.

I didn't know how long I was there. Time meant nothing when you were stuck in Hell.

Jasmine, Fang growled. You must give me control, she forced herself to gaze at Christian's blank eyes. It's the only way we'll make it out of this. Please.

Tears stained my cheeks. I took in Christian's relaxed features. This would probably be our last time together. Commit them to memory. I'll never see you again. I thought.

My limbs were as heavy as lead and my ears were buzzing or was that the light above us? It was becoming difficult to tell the damn difference.

The buzz faded as a fog cast shadows over my sight, and a soft sigh escaped me.

I blinked. Dim and haggard blue eyes met the vibrant and expecting ones belonging to Fang. What?

You know what I want. She replied, her gaze filled with determination despite the agony we suffered.

I couldn't help a small scoff. Of course. The cruelty I endured and witnessed gnawed at my soul, so much that I clutched at my chest as I stared at her. Is it worth it, Fang? Is fighting after all the shit that's gone wrong the right choice?

My inner beast sighed, surrounding me in her embrace. You know what my answer will be, she gave me a narrowed gaze. After all, you know what I am.

I hung my head, looking at my bloodstained claws. I fought for my life, human and Beast, but was I truly willing to let it go as easily?

No, I wasn't.

Fire drank my cold blue eyes, surrounding them in a blazing inferno as I locked gazes with Fang. I know exactly what you are.

Then say the words if you wish to live. She commanded.

I managed a weak smile and complied. "E-Ego r-relinquere mea vas." (I abandon my vessel)

Warmth. Warmth welcomed me when I slipped aside. I basked in it, consuming the tranquility in this moment. I craved peace among the agony and heartache running in my veins. I earned it—no, I deserved it.

My blood-red irises cooled, flickering blank chocolate brown before vibrant violet consumed them. Dark, protruding veins crawled from my eyes while darkness consumed the whites of my orbs.

Fang opened our eyes, drinking in the sight she knew all too well. It could never compare, however, to seeing it up close.

A lone tear slipped down our cheek, a quiet sob escaping us as she cradled his head.

She set free an anguished roar of despair.

~~~

A/N: That marks the end of Chapter 24. Hope you guys enjoyed it!

Updates are every other Saturday, so stay tuned!

Please vote and comment if you're enjoying this story, I'd appreciate it!