Chapter XX

I huffed, tapping my dull nails over my sweater. "You better hope this plan of yours works or you'll be walking home."

Christian gave me a cheeky smile. His forest-colored eyes glowed mischievously as he pulled me to his side. "Don't hesitate and it should go smoothly."

I rolled my eyes and wiggled out of his hold. I swore I saw him frown for a second. "You know I never do, stupid."

He smirked. "I know. It's what I love about you."

Heat rose into my cheeks. My lips pursed together and I smacked his arm. "Shut up." Despite my irritated tone, a reluctant grin managed to spread across my features.

Christian held his arm in mock-hurt before snickering again. "Did I ruffle someone's feathers?" He teased, wiggling his eyebrows.

I growled, the warning becoming interrupted with the rapid hammering of my heart. "I hate you."

"No, you don't." He shot back with a wry grin.

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever helps you sleep at night."

Feeling my custom hood drape over my head, I looked up to see him pulling his over his head. He turned to look at the pinging floor number, our current one being thirty-five. "Looks like we're getting close."

I handed him my sword's scabbard. "Use it on the cameras."

Christian shifted his gaze from the sword to me and back again, uncertainty lurking in his colored depths. "Are you sure? I have Leucin." His hand wandered to his back where his dagger lay holstered under his sweater.

I pinned him with a flat look. "You're gonna need more than a dagger to take out all the cameras," my gaze lightened with amusement. "Take it."

Seconds of uncertainty lingered in the air while he hesitated, deciding to take it when I didn't pull away.

I looked at the floor number, seeing it moments away from hitting the first floor. I moved over to the side of the elevator. Christian unlatched his dagger from its holster, the polished blade shining under the artificial light above our heads.

Once the ding of the elevator went off, we sprang into action.

Christian lunged for the closest cameras, sparing me a glance to give me an arrogant smirk. I took it as my cue to go to the front desk.

The front desk's security guard glanced up at the sound of the elevator opening. He could only blink as Christian bolted for the cameras. His hand was already going for the gun at his waist, but I beat him to it. He froze, gazing at me with a shocked expression plastered over his balding head.

I let the magazine drop to the floor before tossing the gun away. I smiled apologetically at the guard. "Sorry about this." I slammed his head against the desk, letting go to watch him crumple to the ground.

"Ready to go, Jazz?"

I turned away from my victim to see Christian with my sword in hand. I bowed my head, catching my weapon. "Let's get out of here before we attract any more attention."

We both hurried to the entrance of the tower, entering the familiar rush of morning traffic. Christian's hand gripped mine, keeping me close as crowds of people rushed around like ants.

I inhaled, catching any scents managing to linger in the air. I soon caught the sweet scent of cocoa beans.

We should split up to seem less suspicious, Jasmine. He suggested.

I nodded, but not before reluctantly letting go of his hand. Don't let yourself get caught.

The Beast grinned, ducking his head and merging into the rest of the rushing crowd. I followed his example and blended into the crowd.