21- A Day Out

I stood outside the school, waiting for Momiji and Haru to get out of Homeroom.  Today was Wednesday, meaning we were going to be hanging out after school.  I still had no idea where we were going, but I was greatful to them for inviting me to go with them.

  "Mei!"  Momiji's voice came from the entrance of the school, and I turned around to see them walking towards me.  Momiji was waving wildly while Haru walked silently behind him.

  "Hey!"  I smiled, greeting them.  "How was school?"

  "Great!"  Momiji exclaimed.  "Haru got angry at the teacher because she told him he was wrong, but he got under control quickly!"

  "Huh-"  I huffed.  "I'm surprised he didn't go off on her.  I would have been called down, so thank you Haru."

  "Whatever."  He grunted.  "Where the hell are we going anyway?"

  "You don't know either?"  I questioned, looking down at Momiji.  "Where are we going exactly?"

  "Its a surprise!"  He jumped giddily.  "Now let's go!  We're going to have lots of fun today!"

  Haru and I looked between each other before following the rambunctious boy out of the schoolyard and out onto the street.

*****

  "Tada!  Remember I said we'd go see some animals?  We're going to a petting zoo today!"  Momiji said, pointing at me.  "And Haru is joining us!"

  "Is this- ethical?"  I questioned, glancing at Haru.  "Seeing as you are- you know- animals in a way?"

  He blinked, staring at the scene in front of him.  "I don't know."

  "Kay."  I hummed, nodding.  "Okay Momiji, what are we going to look at first?"

  "Rabbits!"  He exclaimed.

  "Of course."  Haru nodded.

  "Oh-"  I cocked my head.  "I can't believe I never asked.  Momiji, are you the Rabbit Spirit?"

  "Ja!"  He walked backwards, strategically weaving throughout people on his way to the rabbits.

  "I wonder how I didn't notice that before?"  I questioned, mostly to myself.

  "Cause you're an idiot."

  "Fuck off Haru."  I rolled my eyes as he gave me a lazy smirk.  We approached the rabbit cage, to find Momiji bent over speaking cheerfully to them.

  "Hello!"  He waved.  "How are you?"

  "Can he speak to them?"  I asked, astonished.  I wouldn't have believed it before, but now I didn't know what to believe.

  "Nah."

  "Oh."

  "Hey Mei!  You wanna see a cool trick!?"  Momiji asked, bouncing up to me.  "I promise you'll like it!"

  "Uh- sure."  I nodded, giving him a smile.

  He tugged me towards the bathrooms, Haru following behind us.  "Okay, we gotta be super secret about this."  Momiji whispered, glancing around the area.  "Ready?"  He didn't give me a moment before he shouted loudly.  "Here I come!"

  "Momiji!"  I squealed, stumbling backwards against the brick wall as he jumped on my shoulders.

  There was a cloud of smoke and then in his place was a little yellow bunny, his little maroon eyes staring widely up at me.  "Look Mei!  I'm a little bunny!!"  He giggled, hopping off my shoulder to bounce in circles.

  "Momiji!"  Haru snapped, grabbing the rabbit by the ears.  "Can you control yourself for one day?" 

  "Teehee!"  He shrugged his shoulders and wrinkled his bunny nose.  "Gimme to Mei!  I won't change if you give me to her!"

  "The won't let me carry a rabbit around Momiji."  I crossed my arms, closing my eyes.  "I'll take you into the bathroom and you can transform back."

  "Yeah no."  Haru shook his head.  "I'll take him to the bathroom, you stay out here.  I'm sorry."

  I shook my head, a small smile on my face as I scooped the clothes off the grass.  "Its alright, he's excited.  But still-"  I looked down at the rabbit.  "You should know better."  I scolded.

  "Its fun!"  He shouted excitedly as Haru walked away, mumbling under his breath.

  I chuckled under my breath in response, going to sit on a bench to wait for them.  That wasn't something you see every day, and honestly, I wasn't disappointed.  Ever since I met the Sohmas' my life had been interesting and I wouldn't change a single thing.  Not even people who turn into animals as strange as that might be.

  "Sorry about that."  I glanced up to see Haru standing above me.

  "Its fine, I promise."  I laughed.  "I haven't had this much fun in- forever.  I don't mind if he enjoys himself a bit."

  "Yknow, you're always saying that.  Mei, what do you find fun?"  He sat down beside Me, glancing back at the bathrooms for a moment.

  "You really wanna know?"  I question, glancing at him.  "I can assure you, it's quite boring."

  "Well it's you.  So probably is boring." 

  "Rude."

  "I'm kidding."

  "I like astrology and the stars.  Things like that."  I look up at the sunny sky.  "I don't sleep a lot so it's the one thing I can do on my down time.  It's fun to look at the sky and chart the stars."

  "The stars?"  He hummed.  "I don't think that's boring.  A lot of the zodiac curse ties into the stars."

  "Yeah!"  I nodded eagerly.  "Its really cool actually!  But I also like that everyone could be looking at the same stars at the same time.  Like-"  I paused, biting my lip.  I wasn't going to bother him with useless facts.  "Its just cool.  Sorry, I went off on a tangent."  I smiled lightly, rubbing the back of my neck.

  "Mei!  Haru!"  Momiji came bouncing up then, a grin still plastered on his face.  "They have ponies!  Can we go see them?"

  "I don't see why not."  I stood up, turning to Haru.  "You ready to go look at some of the other animals?"

  "Yeah."  He nodded and stood up, a spacey look on his face. 

  I chuckled lightly, happy that he hadn't gone dark at the events from before.  "Don't get lost, Kay Haru?  I'm not keeping track of you dopey."

  "Call me that one more time."  He glared over at me, crossing his arms.

  "Come on Mei!  They're over here!"  Momiji tugged me away before I could tease him any further, making me laugh as he struggled to keep up with us. 

  "Hurry up Haru!"  I smiled, grabbing his hand so he wouldn't get lost in the sea of people. 
____________________________________________
Word Count: 1045 Words