Ch. 25: Swim suits

Start from the beginning

"Mafia, western or action?" he asked after we'd studied the screen that presented the movies. I was more concerned about the many people around us, and squeezed his hand hard and moved really, really close to him, which caused him to embrace me and kiss the top of my head.

"It's okay, Mia. I know it's difficult for you, but I also know that you are strong. Just picture all these people walking around in bathing suits with polka dots and swimming aid shaped like ducks around their belly."

I burst out laughing.

"See that man over there? The one with a beard and giant man boobs? Imagine him in a lovely bikini and a matching thong."

"Oh, my God! Benjamin!" I whisper-yelled. "That's so rude."

He snickered.

"Probably, but it worked, didn't it?"

I thought about it. He was right. It did work. A little bit, at least. And now I kept seeing all these people strutting around in the silliest swimwear, bathing cap and goggles, and struggled to keep myself from laughing. Especially the large-built, bearded man made me hide my face against Benjamin's neck and giggle.

We decided on the action movie. Did we watch it? Not really. We kept distracting each other with a kissing match, where we competed against each other in kissing the other's palm. Of course, since Benjamin was so much stronger than me, he usually twisted his wrist so I ended up kissing my own, which meant that I lost. And when I gave up with a pout, we ended up making out instead, until a person behind us poked Benjamin harshly on his shoulder and told us to get a room.

So we left before the movie was done and went to grab a burger instead. Not very romantic, but it was fun. Especially when Benjamin secretly started to criticize the poor girl that had made the burgers. He sounded like a sports commentator with a lisp. I laughed until I choked and started coughing, and ended up asking Benjamin to hold my burger so I wouldn't drop it, while I wiped my mouth. And being the true gentleman that he was, he took the job seriously. So seriously that he ate it all.

"Benjamin! That was mine!" I yelled in fake anger. Truth was that I was already full. Besides, he looked adorable with his face stuffed with food and the most guilty look on his face.

"Sowwy!" he mumbled. "I ake yu omefing wen ee gef hoe."

"What?" I laughed. My ribs seriously hurt from laughing so much. Benjamin chewed like crazy and swallowed everything at once. Then he burped and apologized.

"I said, I'll make you something when we get home."

"That's not necessary. I'm not hungry anymore."

"My place or your place?" he questioned, totally ignoring me.

"Uhm..."

"Your place. Dad has visitors, and... Uhm. It might or might not be your aunt."

We looked at each other and tried to keep ourselves from laughing. We failed. With a snort, we broke into a fit of laughter that lasted way down the street, to other people's annoyance or amusement.

"Hey, Mia? Do you mind if I ask you something personal?"

Benjamin studied me thoughtfully as I unlocked the door and turned on the lights.

"Sure," I said lightly, but I felt a stone plummet into my stomach and fill it with nervousness. "What do you want to know?"

He was silent for a while, as if he was trying to figure out how to choose the right words.

"Your anxiety... What caused it?"

My movements slowed down until they came to a complete halt, already before I'd hung up my coat.