- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -   

Now...

After receiving a course load that could stifle a horse, I found myself sitting under a tree with a copy of The Color Purple. I had read the book, watched the movie and become enamored with the overall theme of the book. The characters were compelling, too. I don't even have a least favorite character. I must look like an idiot re-reading it every year.

I rarely read a book or watched a movie more than once. If I did, you could tell I really like it. The same could be said for people. My friends are only my friends because I genuinely like them.

This train of thought brings me to my conversation with Jason and the argument with Lucas afterward. He pictures himself an authority on my relationship with Jason based on what he gleamed from watching. It isn't quite a shock. There had to be something wrong with someone so...perfect.

It was no shock either that he showed up to gawk at me.

"I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it." Lucas said as he walked up to me. His trademark smirk ever present on his face, "Of course, God isn't real..."

"What do you want?" I ask as I look up at him for the first time.

"I think we got off on the wrong foot." He says with a strained voice. Obviously apologies aren't his strong suit, "I took a conversation that I shouldn't have been listening to and jumped to a hell of a conclusion based to very good deductive reasoning skills."

"Of course you did. I doubt it's the first time." I say with a shrug. He stares at me with a look of astonishment. When his expression softens, he is smiling again. I roll my eyes, "What is it that you want from me, exactly? First you jump to conclusions about my relationship with my best friend's brother and now you're apologizing, but do you even know why you're apologizing?"

"Not exactly. I don't usually apologize for truthful statements."

"So why apologize?" I asked.

"Because it's what you wanted to hear." Lucas says truthfully.

"Finally. Now that's you." I say closing the book and standing to meet him, "Look, I find you unnerving, to say the least. I don't quite understand it, but I feel like...There's something off about you. And, in general, I'm inclined to decline whatever it is you want. Sorry."

I say nothing more as I walk past him. With the sins of my past threatening to tear me apart, I am off to History. I believe firmly in the old adage about not knowing history leading to repeating it.

I don't want to repeat history.

I wanted to make it.

                                                                         - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -     

Summer, July 3...

It had been twenty hours, seventeen minutes and forty two seconds since I'd lost my virginity to David Gilbert. I hadn't received so much as a text, even though I had sent many. If I were watching myself in a movie or reading myself in a book, I would feel embarrassed for myself.