Chapter 33-Martha

Start from the beginning

"Hey." I said putting my hands on the counter continuously tapping my fingers.

He took a sip of his ice water. "I see someone was having fun," he said, gesturing to the dance floor.

"Someone enjoyed watching." The words left my mouth on their own accord. The implication of them alone had me a little embarrassed though when I looked up Ryan had pure amusement in his eyes. Those royal blues sparkled and I couldn't help but smile.

"I'm not gonna deny it." He mumbled but he knew I heard it. He was teasing. This wasn't the first time, but it was the first time I was seeing through the lense of the possibility of this man actually being interested in me. And to say I didn't like it would be a lie.

I looked at Mason who had a beer in his hand. His eyes were a bit glossed over, I could tell that it wasn't his first beer. He smirked as he looked back at the dance floor, Lori was in a group now. Surrounded by a bunch of girls, she was grinding on about half of them but we all knew who he was looking at. "Have to say, it was hot."

Ryan moved to lean onto the counter and wave down the bartender. "Yo, my man. Let me get a shot of tequila for the lady." With that the bartender nodded and immediately poured the shot for me.

"Thank you." I said to the bartender and to Ryan at the same time as I downed it in one go.

"Hey listen," Ryan said, gaining both Mason and I's attention, "I wanted to tell you something, both of you actually." I looked back at Mason and he looked at me with the same curiosity. When I turned back Ryan had a nervous look on his face and rubbed the back of his head. Taking a deep breath he started, "I don't work at the local auto shop anymore."

"Dude I knew that." Ryan sighed before looking at Mason slightly annoyed, "Sorry continue."

"I haven't worked there in close to three years." Confusion must have been written all over my face.

Why would he lie? "Why would you lie?" I asked, voicing my thoughts.

"Because I've been trying to accomplish something that I didn't want anyone to know about."

Mason scoffed, "Garrett knew." Ryan huffed and rolled his eyes again.

"Whose Garrett?" I said looking in between the two of them.

"Oh, just my buddy at where I've actually been working." He waved off.

Mason had a sour look on his face as he mumbled under his breath, though we all heard it, "Yea the only buddy you trust." I elbowed Mason, signaling him to shut up.

"Where have you actually been working?" I pressed.

Ryan gave Mason a pointed look before answering my question, "Precision Fixes & Tires."

"I knew that too." Mason pointed out, "Is there anything I don't know?"

"I own that shop." Mason was completely silent. I saw him blinking a few times and I didn't see him speaking anytime soon.

I was still highly confused about the situation so decided to try and clarify, "Wait, what do you mean by you own it?"

"Exactly that, I've been the owner of it since I left the local auto shop."

My eyes widened and felt immense pride hearing Ryan's news, "Oh my God! Why would you hide something like that? That's amazing! You own one of the chain stores of one of the best auto shops in the country."

"Well actually," Ryan seemed lighter as he spoke, like he was happy to tell someone about it, "um the one store is just a test, Garrett's uncle is the absolute owner. Apparently he's getting up there in age and needs a successor. Garrett presented my history with cars and even got me a meeting with him at one point. He was so impressed with me, he wanted me to run the shop here in town before taking it further." I was completely speechless. Mason still looked like he was recovering. Ryan took this as his opportunity to continue, "Recently I met with investors, who seemed to also be impressed with me and Garrett's uncle wants to sign everything over to me."

Mason finally snapped out of his "Why would keep that a secret?"

With his hands in his pockets and lightly bouncing back and forth on the balls of his feet, he gave his only reason, "I didn't want to say anything in case it fell through."

I hadn't reacted yet there was something that came to mind that I knew made this all worth wild. "Ryan, isn't Precision Fixes & Tires also one of the main companies that NASCAR uses?" I said with full anticipation of the answer I already knew.

Looking at Ryan he seemed so proud, the glint in his eyes shined brighter as he pressed his lips together suppressing a smile and nodded. "That's fucking amazing!" I jumped into his arms and held on tightly, "I'm so proud of you."

His laughter filled my ears as the vibration through his chest shook my whole body. When he settled me back down on my feet we were still hugging. His arms were tight around my waist and I was feeling myself melt into his body. "I'm very impressed man." Mason said with pure admiration for his friend. "So I'm guessing you're the epitome of rags to riches then."

"Ha Ha." Ryan said dryly.

"What is he talking about?" I said. I was still in his arms enjoying his embrace. His hands were rubbing my back softly, it was another thing that I didn't think he realized he was doing.

"I'm talking about the fact that Precision Fixes & Tires is going to make him a pretty buck." Mason said with a smug look, "Which means... drinks are on you tonight." Mason whipped around to the bartender, "Let's get a round of shots over here and put it on his tab!" Ryan rolled his eyes at Mason for acting like a child.

I expected a position that involved handling a company would make Ryan well-off. This was an amazing opportunity, after working so hard his entire life.

"Hey you guys." The sound of my best friend made all my sense come rushing back and I subtly removed myself from him.

I turned towards the bar grabbing two of the shots that Mason ordered and held it up to her. "Hey, want a shot?"

"Ooo, yes please." With that we both downed a shot together. I saw the glistening sweat on her body as she settled down from dancing. She looked around with wide curious eyes, "So what were you three talking about?"

"How my best friend here is going to be running a business." Mason said, patting Ryan's back.

Lori's eyes almost flew out of her head as they darted from Mason, to me, to Ryan and back again "Excuse me?"

Grabbing her arm, her attention focused on me, "I'll tell you later." She nodded but I knew how desperate she wanted to know.