Chapter 28

Kaycee

    I got to the cabin around 1:30 p.m. I was glad to have somewhere I could escape. I just wanted to clear my head and be able to think straight. The cabin was out in the middle of nowhere. The closest cabin was about a half mile away.

    I took my bag upstairs and plopped down on the bed. The cabin had always been my safe space. My parents had owned it since I was in middle school. Once I was able to drive, anytime I needed an escape I would come here. The last time I came here was three years ago. Brooke and I drove up here and stayed for two weeks. I had just broken up with Christian. I had walked in on him and a girl named Julie. She was his best friend's girlfriend and a girl I thought was one of my friends.

Things with Christian were far from perfect. We fought a lot and were not in a good place the last few months of our relationship. I had been telling Brooke I was unhappy and if things didn't change that I couldn't do it anymore. Little did I know that he had already moved on before we ever broke up. After two weeks in the cabin I really thought about staying and leaving Nashville. I just wanted to start over. Love just didn't seem worth the trouble. Brooke convinced me to go home.

I got off the bed and opened my suitcase. I pulled out some shorts and a t-shirt and I got ready to go on a hike. Hiking always helped clear my head and help everything make sense. I had no idea what I was going to do about Matthew. I hadn't even turned my phone back on yet. I couldn't talk to him until I knew for sure what I was going to do. I knew that I really liked him. From the moment that we met, I felt like we just clicked. We talked like we had known each other for years. It seemed so easy until I watched him on the T.V. Then it hit me. We are from completely different worlds and I wasn't sure if those worlds would be able to come together or if they should.

I ended up walking for about an hour and a half before heading back. After three hours of walking and thinking I was beyond ready for a shower. I was surprised when I walked up to the cabin and saw another vehicle parked in the driveway.

"Can I help you?" I asked when I saw two people standing at the front door. I figured they were lost.

"Kaycee! I was so worried!" Brooke came running towards me. I was shocked to see her, but I was even more shocked to see Matthew standing behind her.

"What are you doing here?" I patted her back as she hugged me.

"I was worried. I wasn't even sure if you'd be here. You wouldn't answer your phone."

"I turned it off the other night and never turned it back on. What are you both doing here." I whispered.

"I think you guys need to talk." She grabbed my hand and pulled me towards Matthew.

"Brooke!" I hissed.

"Come on." She demanded. We stopped right in front of him. I could feel my heart racing.

"Hi Kaycee." Matthew broke the silence.

"Hello." I said.

"Welp, I am going to go inside and let you guys talk." She patted Matthew's shoulder as she walked by.

"I am so sorry." Matthew started. "First of all Ashley and I are not together. Never have been and never will be."

I just stood there. I had absolutely no idea what to say. I was still shocked he was there. I was nervous and felt like I had been ambushed.

"We had gone out on a few dates before I met you. Only because my manager set it up. I had already told her that I just wanted to be friends. She showed up at the house dressed up and ready to go to the premiere. My manager had set it up without checking with me first. I should have said no right then. I am really sorry and that's really all I can say. I know I messed up." He looked at me with so much hope in his eyes.

"Okay." I finally responded.

"Okay?" He echoed.

"Yes. Okay. I believe you. I believe that you and that girl weren't together."

"Okay good." He stepped towards me with a big smile on his face and I immediately threw my hand up and stood back.

"I believe you, but we can't." I watched all of the hope leave his eyes. Now they were full of regret. "I just don't know."

"What don't you know? What can I do? I really.. I really do like you Kaycee." I had to turn away so he couldn't see my eyes filling up with tears and the pain on my face.

"I don't think there's anything you can do, Matthew. I just don't think we are right for each other." I was doing my best to choke back the tears. I didn't want him to leave, but I knew he shouldn't stay.

"Kaycee, please. Can we just talk about all of this?" Matthew begged.

"No. There's nothing left to talk about." I turned back towards him and made sure I had my bravest face on. I couldn't let him see how much it was hurting me. He looked like he wanted to run over and hug me and I wish he would have.

"If you really don't want to talk and you want me to leave I will go." I knew he wanted me to ask him to stay.

"I'd like for you to go." He stood there and looked at me.

"Okay. I will go, but I am truly sorry. I hope one day you will forgive me."

I stood there and watched him pull out of the driveway. I waited until he was out of sight and then I started crying. I finally let out everything I had been holding in. I may have only known Matthew for a few weeks, but watching him leave absolutely broke my heart. I was hoping that I didn't just make a big mistake.

After about ten minutes I decided it was time to go in and talk to Brooke. I know she had the best intentions when she brought Mattew with her. I wiped the tears from my face and headed inside.

"Hey! Where's Matthew?" Brooke asked.

"He left." I said. I really didn't want to cry again, but I could feel my eyes filling up with tears.

"To go to the store or something? Like he will be back right?" Brooke had confusion all over her face.

"No. I asked him to leave. Whatever was going on between us is over now." I pulled myself together and walked into the living room.

"What? Why? Didn't he explain everything?" She was defending him. I really didn't know why.

"Yes. He told me, but this is what's best for everyone."

"Kaycee! You can't be serious." She looked surprised and mad.

"I am serious. I'm not going to waste my time getting involved with him. There's too many reasons why we don't belong together.