Chapter 25

Matthew

    "You were awful quiet tonight. Did you like the movie?" Ashley asked when we got back to the house.

    "Hey guys. Can you give us a minute?" I asked the guys.

    "Uh yeah. Sure. Come on." Drew said and pulled James and Josh with him.

    "What's wrong?" Ashley reached out and touched my arm.

    I pulled my arm back. "Look, I think you're great. You know that, but I've told you before that I think we're better as friends. When you told that reporter we were seeing where things were going, you knew that wasn't true. Why'd you say that?"

    "Because we are? Aren't we? You don't mean that." She reached out for my arm again.

    "Ashley, stop. There is someone else and I'm not messing things up with her. I shouldn't have let you come tonight."

    "But you did."

    "Yes, I did. And it was a mistake. I think you should go." I walked over and opened the door.

    "Are you serious?"

    "Yes." She scoffed and walked out the door. I closed it and stood there for a second. "Okay guys. Shows over." I finally said.

    "What? We weren't listening." Josh poked his head out of the kitchen.

    "Yes. We were." James said.

    "I think you did the right thing." Drew said. "Ashley was a little crazy anyways."

    "You think?" Josh laughed.

    "What now?" James walked into the living room and sat on the couch.

    "Now I call Kaycee and hope she still wants to talk to me." I pulled my phone out and called her.