Chapter 9

Kaycee

I was so happy to be home. My dogs were just excited to see me. Brooke went back to work on Monday and I didn't see her much the entire week. I mostly laid by the pool, read, and binge watched Friends on Netflix. My parents ended up going out of town to celebrate their anniversary, so it was just me.

Brooke already had our next trip planned. We were leaving Friday morning, but she wouldn't tell me where we were going. We had planned on taking her turns on picking destinations, but she insisted that we should go where she had picked because I would just love it. And once Brooke has an idea, there is no stopping her.

"Kaycee? Are you here?" I could hear Brooke calling my name inside the house.

"Yes. I'm in the same spot I have been all week." I yelled back. Charlie and Molly were jumping around when Brooke walked outside.

"Dang. You're going to have a way better tan than me by the end of the summer." She sighed and sat in the chair next to me.

"You'll catch up. You always do." I said and I took a sip of my watered-down lemonade.

"Have you heard from your mom and dad? Are they enjoying their vacation?"

"I talked to mom earlier. She said they are loving it. They won't be home until after we leave.

"Dang! I was excited to see them!"

"I know. Me too." I sighed. "So where are we going?" I asked in hopes that she might slip up and tell me.

"Nice try. I'm going to put my bathing suit on." She winked and got up to go inside.

"I wish you would just tell me!" I yelled as she was walking in. I absolutely hated surprises and Brooke knows that.