Chapter 20

Kaycee

    I woke up the next morning excited and nervous. The night before was so perfect, but we had other people around to buffer us. It was going to be just the two of us. I really hoped everything was going to go good. I got up and got ready. I put my swimsuit on under my shorts and tshirt. I threw some sunscreen, a beach towel, and a baseball cap in my beach bag.

    "Did you sleep at all?" Brooke asked and pushed a cup of coffee towards me.

    "Thanks." I took a sip. It was perfect. "That's so good. And yes, I slept a little bit."

    "Are you excited?" She was drinking her coffee and staring at me with her big, hopeful eyes.

    "Yes, but I'm nervous. I haven't been on an actual date in like two years."

    "You're long overdue. Just have fun. Don't stress."

    "I feel bad for ditching you." I stole a strawberry from her plate.

    "Don't worry. I came prepared. I brought some work with me just in case. My plan is to lay by the pool and work all day." She tapped her hand on her laptop and the folders laying on the island.

    There was a knock at the door. "I wonder who that could be." Brooke walked over and opened the door.

    "Hey!" Matthew said as he walked in.

    "Hey!" I repeated.

    "Are you ready?"

    "Yep!" I held my bag up like a dork.

    "You guys have fun!" Brooke said as she basically pushed us out the door.

    "Is she usually that pushy?" Matthew asked when we heard the door close behind us.

    "No, she's usually worse." I laughed as we got onto the elevator.

    The ride to the beach was nice. We rode with the windows down and the music playing loudly. I knew every song that he was playing, which made me smile. The beach wasn't very packed at all. I followed Matthew to a spot and we started setting our beach towels down. Matthew took his shirt off and tossed it by my bag before he sat down.

    "Tell me about yourself." Matthew said.

    "What do you want to know?" I asked and sat beside him.

    "Do you have any siblings?"

    "I am actually an only child. I used to always wish I had a sister, but then Brooke came along and quickly filled that roll." I started digging my toes in the sand trying to keep myself from getting nervous. "What about you?"

    "I have a brother and a sister. They're both younger than me."

    "I bet you're an awesome big brother."

    "I tried to be." He chuckled a little. "Sometimes I feel like they're smarter than me. My sister is one of the people who really convinced me to move to L.A. and go after my dreams."

    "She sounds like a smart girl. Where are you from?"

    "I am from a small town in Florida."

    "Really?" I was a little shocked. He didn't look like a small town boy. He definitely belonged in L.A.

    "You sound surprised." He tousled his blonde hair.

    "I am. You just down look like someone from a small town anywhere."

    "I am going to assume that was a compliment?"

    "It is. I'm just saying I think you're where you belong." I took my shorts and tshirt off and tossed them in my bag. I pulled out my baseball cap and sunscreen. I looked up while I was applying my sunscreen and Matthew was staring at me. "What?"

    "You're really pretty." He didn't break eye contact when he said it. He was either really good at talking to girls or he really meant it.

    "Oh.. Thank you." I knew my face was turning red at this point. "Are we going to get in the water or what?" I stood up.

    "Let's go!" He stood up too.

    I took off running, "I bet I beat you!" I called behind me.

    "Hey, that's cheating!" I heard him laughing behind me. By the time we got to the water we were both out of breath from laughing and running through the sand. The next thing I knew, he picked me up and threw me over his shoulder.

    "What are you doing? I giggled and started squirming.

    "I thought we were getting in the water." He was still laughing as he started stepping into the water.

    "Don't you do it! Matthew!" I yelled as he dove straight into a wave with me still on his shoulder. Thankfully the water wasn't freezing. I splashed him when we both came up to the surface.

    We spent the rest of the day swimming in the ocean looking at fish and building sand castles. Matthew found a really pretty shell and gave it to me. When the sun started to set I knew it was time to go, but I wasn't ready for the day to be over.