34- Don't Look Death in the Eye

Start from the beginning

Of course Theo knew everything already. He always knew. Though there was one thing, maybe he didn't know. He'd only know if Celeste had told him, and I don't see why she would have. This was something I felt I should tell Theo. Something that stayed between us.

"I ran into someone." I tried to keep as serious as I could, but the memory of what happened in the woods caused my heart to hammer in my chest.

"I'm guessing they were the one who gave you that nasty wound?"

Without hesitation, I spit it out. "Grado."

Theo paused for a moment, the angular features on his face frozen with shock. Carefully placing the book in his hand onto his desk, he leaned back in his chair. "I haven't heard that name in quite some time." He lifted his broad arm, running his fingers through his long pitch balck hair as he reminisced about the general. I couldn't understand why anyone would want to think of that monster though.

"And he did that to you?"

I nodded, "With the intention to kill. Hell, he probably thinks i'm dead."

"And it's better he thinks that." Theo stood from his chair, grabbing the book and picking a spot to place it one of his many vass shelves that encircled the room.

"Do they really want Evelyn bad enough they sent him after her? That doesn't seem right to me...he would never patrol the woods."

"No." Theo shook his head, "They didn't send Grado after Evelyn...they sent him after you."

After me? It was a coincidence I was there, nothing else. "Why would he waste his time on me? He couldn't give a damn about me."

"Because you're in the way. Someone saw yours and the others faces when you were at the Chamber. They saw you with her, figuring you were there to protect. They concluded by eliminating you she would be easier to get too."

I tsked, "You don't know that."

"Then why did Grado try and go after Celeste too?"

"How did you know he went after Celeste?" Did Cel tell him? That would be an unlikely thing of her to do.

"Celeste had two minor rake slashes on her arm. By the cuts, I could tell it was inflicted by a Vermillion blade, the only rake point that would be sharp enough to slit your skin so deep it almost killed you. So I knew whoever wounded you, went for her first."

The intuitive way Theos' mind worked almost made me angry. He pieced everything together like the events he met were only but a part of the world's one giant puzzle. If Theo would have walked in with us to the Chamber, I'm sure not a single thing would have gone wrong. He would have planned out every negative outcome in seconds within entering the building. Though Theo had a strong mind, I felt he didn't use it sharp enough.

"Detra knows Grado is your weakness, Dominic."

Anger boiled under my skin as he said that. "Grado is not my weakness!" I heated

"Then why did you almost let him kill you!" Theo roared back. I grimaced, thinking maybe Theo was right. Maybe he was my weakness. Ever since I was a kid he was. No. Theo's wrong. I will not meet my end by his hand. Not after he betrayed me. Betrayed my mother.

"Your father breathes death, Dominic."

"Don't you call him that!" I pointed my finger at Theo, my jaw clenched tight as I scolded him. He wasn't that to me, and he wouldn't be called that. Not by me, not by anyone.

"You cannot escape who you are!  No matter how hard you try, you will never be able to kill him and you know it. Because he's your blood."

"I can kill him." I growled, bawling my fists.