5 | It's in the Dungeon

A line of steam seeps from the snout of a teakettle, a warm smell of leaves filling up her room. Though Narra no longer has the traditional cauldron she uses back at her tavern, a servant passing by was kind enough to lend her a teakettle and an unused kitchen. After all, they shouldn't expect that Narra would settle for just a thin slice of stale bread.

Her hair freely sits on her back, no longer tied into the usual braid that she wears. Narra is also back to her tavern uniform, not that she has any other clothing to wear.

She keeps in mind that they're still in a foreign place. She needs to know her position in this feud.

Narra borrows a nearby mitten and lifts the pot from the fire to the counter with ease. The girl brings out her own two cups and pours the drink. It smells like wild berries, the ones she harvests in her forest. Though the tea is hot, she drinks.

It's unusually quiet around this part of the palace, whereas last night she had to spend ten or so minutes walking until she heard a voice. Their rooms are purposely isolated from the main area, perhaps due to refrain from too much trouble.

Jokes on them, it would be absurd for them humans to stay here without a single meeting with their king. Coincidences are unavoidable.

The doorway creaks open and Narra peers her head to the source, only to meet with a smiling Norman in a change of clothes and mood.

“Good morning, Narra.”

Returning the smile, she greets the young boy.

“Good morning, Norman. Here have a drink.” A cup filled with orange aromatic liquid slides over to the young traveler.

The snow-haired boy looks at the drink then stuffs his hand in his pocket in search of coins. Narra tilts her head at his actions.

“You don't need to pay if we're no longer in the tavern.” She points out, her tone comes off sounding rather sad than informative and Norman seems to notice.

“Ah…right. Thank you.” The young vagabond picks up the cup and drinks his share.

“Good morning guests, I see you two are enjoying yourselves.” A low female voice speaks from the doorway.

Turning their attention to the girl, she appears to be a maid from around here. Her pink skin, short silver hair, coal eyes, and black little horns make her known to be a demon.

Narra speaks to the maid, glad to have another company that is at least kindhearted enough to greet them.

“How are you?” The witch asks.

The woman responds with a similar kind tone of voice. She smiles bringing a sense of security to the two guests.

“I'm doing well, thank you.”

Norman and Narra exchange glances, surprised to see someone, let alone another demon, be so welcoming and kind. Norman gives the maid a welcoming smile, to which she replies with a wave and grabs a chair for her to sit down. 

“I apologize for the awful treatment. As you may know, humans aren't favored around here.”

Narra and Norman feel a sense of sympathy for the maid. This girl was apologizing on behalf of the king despite her low status. They find it very brave of her, considerate even.

“About Horns-- Uhm, Kylos. When will he be able to leave?” Norman asks, tripping over his words in regards to Horns’ name.

The maid replies after a few seconds.