Small Spaces

After your accident, Charlie didn't want you to be alone. The possibility of another accident hung in his mind. Every day a little piece of you stayed in his home, catching sight of your coat hanging on his rack, your toothbrush standing near his, which were needed when the date to leave for New York was quickly approaching. The idea of you in New York with Charlie was both exciting and cynical. Getting to see a side of Charlie never seen before, in a place that was a big part of his identity, love, and career. Mind clouded with the likelihood of something changing if you went, not positively. But that's what you did, think of the bad outcomes, when you thought Charlie wasn't interested he was, was mad at you he wasn't.

The holidays approaching, Charlie's house filled with various Christmas decorations. It all matched, the gold and white decorations scattering his house, which to you felt like a home rather than the solo wreath that hung by a string on your apartment door. You had both said goodbye to Henry. His two weeks with Charlie were over, heading back to Nicole's for exactly fourteen days. You would see him next in the new year, or maybe you wouldn't. The shopping you and Charlie had planned kept getting pushed back minutes, to hours, to days. Charlie was busier than he usually was. You didn't see him much until the night when he would quietly sneak into his room. Before feeling his body wrap onto yours, the softness of his lips, meeting your temple each time. The humming of your reaction to his kiss, he would shush you, before the both of you had drifted off to sleep. Waking up to him making coffee before you both went about your day at work.

Charlie having a day off, you awoke to his back facing you. The gloomy sunlight illuminated his soft raven waves. Raising your hand to run through his hair, he was finally getting the peace he needed, knowing that as he slept, his mind was blank. Slowly bringing your hand down, you slipped out of bed, wrapping him more, before tip-toeing into the bathroom, quietly closing the door behind you. Beginning to brush your teeth, an email from Stefan interrupted you. He needed to see you for the cases you had stayed up late to organize. Making yourself look presentable, you crouched, placing a gentle kiss on Charlie's cheek, before writing a note letting him know you'd be in Los Angeles.

"Max, you're taking the stairs?" You questioned, pressing the buttons to the elevator, the thunder rumbling under your feet, hearing the massive raindrops hit the surface of the tall office building. Max shifted his feet, a smile appearing on his face.

"These guns aren't going to grow themselves." Max joked, fixing his tie, "I'll see you up there. Maybe we can grab lunch?"

The elevator opening, you held it open with one hand, "I can't. I have to go shopping with Charlie in a half hour. Raincheck?" Max shook his head, his curls falling to his face as you entered the elevator, pressing the top floor.

Your phone blowing up due to Hunter making a group chat with you and Max, you stood in the elevator, quiet chuckles leaving your chest, from what they would talk about. Glancing up as the door opened from the third floor, Parker was standing on his phone too. "I'll wait for the next one." He spoke. Glancing at the time, you moved to the side, exhaling a silent breath, as he took steps inside the elevator.

Biting your cheek to prevent yourself from laughing at the chat, the numbers of the elevator climbed as it went up, the ring of each floor passing before it stopped. Glancing up to Parker, you furrowed your brows, "What are you doing?"

Answering you by pressing the buttons, he shook his head, "I didn't do anything. It just stopped."

The phone in your hand was silent. The many messages coming in were no longer being received. The lights flickering, the generators' sounds shut off, the bright elevator turned dark green, and the only light illuminated by the floor's number. Closing your eyes, the back of your head hit the wall behind you. Of course, this was happening. Parker responded to a man's voice in the intercom, sounding calm and collected as he let them know who was in the elevator. Hearing that it would be hours before it was fixed due to the weather and power outages. Dropping your bag, you slid down on the ground, stacking your foot on top of the other. No longer having cell reception, you would have to rely on yourself to entertain yourself. Parker continuing to stand, you chuckled.