Chapter twenty six ~ Evie

Evie hopped from her left foot to her right as Adrain briefed the team on what to do, she shivered at the morning cold, the sun was slowly making its way into the sky meaning that it was colder than Frostbite's glare. She looked at the factory, it didn't look that menacing from the outside but she knew that it was way worse on the inside. Finally Adrain finished his brief and the team split up, Evie was with Adrain and Nova, they were going to sneak down to the basement while the rest of the team fought of the Malefactor's cronies. Evie crouched behind Nova and noticed that she had taken off her engagement ring, maybe she didn't want to loose it. Evie jumped out of her skin when she heard the familiar sounds of battle, she saw smoke billowing from the building and Adrain motioned for them to move, they moved in sync past the battle, Evie cringed and felt guilty that they were just leaving the team, but they seemed to have it covered, Evie almost screamed when a shadow hurtled towards her but luckily Narcissa grabbed them and threw them back into the middle of the room, the group reached the door and Nova kicked it open, they all ran down the creaky metal stairs into the basement, no longer caring about being noticed by the Malefactor or his cronies. They reached the basement and Evie frantically looked around for any sign of Max, but the medical table he was restrained to before was nowhere to be seen. Adrain held his pen in his fist and looked around "Is this the right basement?" He asked Evie and she nodded "That's weird there's no one-" she was cut off by Jackknife jumping onto her back, she screamed and Nova pulled Jackknife off Evie, slamming her into the ground, but Jackknife was quick and nimble, she was on her feet and smirking within seconds, she held a dagger in each hand and circled the group, both Adrain and Nova hovered around Evie, creating some kind of circle around her. Jackknife cackled and twirled one of the daggers in her hand "Well well well, looks like old habits die hard Huh Artino?" She smirked and Nova frowned, reaching into her utility belt "I don't know you" Jackknife scoffed "I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to that one" she pointed at Evie with a knife and smirked when she flinched back "Good thing that the Malefactor sees all, so of course he saw you coming" Nova shook her head and smirked, holding up what looked like a knife "The thing about power Jackknife, is that you never brag about it. NOW" both her and Adrain attacked Jackknife, distracting her long enough for Evie to slip away to search for Max. She wondered into the depths of the basement, it was dimly lit and her footsteps echoed around the wide room, she squinted and saw what looked like a smaller version of Max's quarantine, she ran towards it and there he was, restrained to a table in the isle of the glass cube, he saw her and shouted something that she couldn't hear, she banged at the glass with her fists and noticed movement from the corner of her eye, she turned around to meet the Malefactor, he caught her fist and smirked, gripping it way too tightly "Hello Evie" he said smugly and he started bending her wrist backwards, Evie screamed and she heard slams come from inside the cube, her eyes burned with hot tears and she thought she was going to black out from the pain, suddenly the Malefactor was pulled back by a rope, pulling the rope was Adrain, Nova beside him, her uniform covered with blood that Evie hoped wasn't her own "Don't you dare touch my sister" she ran at the Malefactor and suddenly she flew backwards and crashed right into a wall, crumpling to the ground, motionless. Both Adrain and Evie screamed and Evie scanned the ground for something to fight with, she settled on a loose pipe and just in time, as the Malefactor has broken through Adrian's rope, which disappeared as soon as it hit the floor. The Malefactor laughed and he adjusted his suit "I'd almost forgotten that you don't know what my power is" he shook his head and held up his hands in a mock surrender "Come on. Take me" Adrain went to run but Evie grabbed his arm "No wait! Look what happened to Nova when she tried to attack him, he must be able to create a forcefield or something" The Malefactor clapped slowly "Wow Evie, accurate as always" she could sense his smirk under the mask. "So since you can't attack me, how about a bargain. You back down, and I will let you and your team go" he clicked his fingers and more prodigies from upstairs brought forward their team, badly beaten up and restrained by gags and ropes, Evie noticed Adrain's face fall and she met the team's eyes, they all looked like they had admitted defeat, she looked back and saw that Nova was still motionless, she looked behind the Malefactor and met Max's eyes, he had managed to break through the restraints on his chest and was leaning on his elbows. He nodded and she met the Malefactor's eyes "What if we don't back down" the Malefactor scoffed and she saw Nova raise her head, Adrain also noticed but he didn't react, Evie kept the Malefactor's gaze on her as she stepped forward "What if we can't attack you. We have other ways of defeating you" she smirked and carried herself with confidence, behind the Malefactor she noticed Max trying to unlock a manacle on his wrist with a button on his shirt. The Malefactor laughed, the villains holding the rest of the team joined him "I admire your confidence, but you are insane. I cannot be defeated" Evie took one last look at Max, he had escaped his restraints, his wrists bleeding and his shirt torn, he held a chair in his hands and mouthed 'move back' Evie smirked and screamed "MOVE BACK" running back, the rest of the team started fighting off their captors and the Malefactor turned back in time to witness the glass smashing into pieces and Max stepping out, his shoes crunching on the glass, he looked at the Malefactor and stepped towards him "NO" the Malefactor screamed and he fell on his knees, onto the glass. Max continued on walking and it was like the Malefactor was being drained, Evie realised what was happening and she moved back further, the rest of the group seemed to of figured it out too and they all moved back, except for Adrain. Max reached for the Malefactor and pulled his mask off his face, he forced the Malefactor to look up and Evie gasped. Charlie Hayward, wanted criminal, helped Ace Anarchy in the first attempt to take over the world, said to have been killed. Charlie fell fully to the floor and Max stood over his motionless body and looked up at everyone. Evie stepped forward and he shouted "NO" she flinched and Nova pulled her back, Adrain stepped forward and Max stepped back "Max, I still have that tattoo, okay?" Max watched Adrain as he stepped forward, close enough for Max's power to start working. Max watched Evie as Adrain stepped over Charlie and reached Max "Are you okay?" He asked and Max looked at his brother "Make sure that I don't take any more powers" and with that he collapsed into Adrian's arms, Evie screamed and clawed at Nova's arms, but it was no use. She wouldn't be able to hug Max, let alone kiss him ever again.