Chapter twenty seven ~ Max

Max stood in the glass cube, the Malefactor walked around him, his hands clasped behind his back "I'm not the bad guy Max, my experimentation on you means that we Prodigies can remain powerful. You may have heard the rumours that our great grandchildren may live in a world without Prodigies, because it is simply not possible for the superpower DNA to pass over. With my experiment, we can prevent that. You just understand this Max, you may not hear me, you may not trust me and I do not blame you for that. But remember this, being a Prodigy is a gift from above, and we simply cannot let that go."
Max sat up in a cold sweat and frantically looked around, his heart rate slowed down when he noticed the doctor reading Max's vitals to his family, who stood outside the quarantine, he had lost track of the days where he lay in bed, watching different doctors treat him for his wounds, it was almost like he had jumped back in time. The quarantine was returned to its normal spacious room, with the difference of more people visiting using the Viability Charm, but Max still found himself miserable, he admired Adrian's attempts for family game nights, with Simon wearing the charm but it just wasn't the same. He hadn't seen Evie since the night in the basement, where she had stared at him with such horror for what he had done to the Malefactor, or as he was known now, Charlie Hayward. Max hadn't had a chance to try out his new power as he was stuck in bed all day, movement outside the quarantine caught his eye and he sat up, despite the doctor specifically telling him not to, and he spotted Evie standing outside the quarantine, she met his eyes and despite all the orders of the doctors Max jumped from the bed and ran to the wall, he didn't care that he was in raggy hand-me down pyjama's from Adrain that he was forced to wear as his fathers continued to move all of his stuff into the quarantine. All he cares about was Evie, her eyes teared up and she put a hand to the glass, Max put his hand over her own, wishing that somehow she could be there with him, Evie opened her mouth and said something but Max couldn't hear her, he pointed to the speaker on the other side of the glass and Evie's voice echoed around the glass room "Hey" Max quickly ran to his speaker and pulled it from it's stand, standing as close to Evie as the cord would allow "Are you okay?" He asked, holding the walkie-talkie like thing to his mouth, Evie nodded, smiling sadly "Yeah, the Malefactor fractured my wrist but one of the doctors healed it" She leant against the glass and Max did the same, both of them facing the other, they stared into each other's eyes for a few minutes before Evie lifted the walkie-talkie to her mouth "Look.... I understand if you can't forgive me for what I did" Max shook his head and he wished he could tuck her hair behind her ear, like he always used to "I know why you did it I just.... wish you could be in here with me" Evie nodded and leant her forehead against the window, Max did the same, the cold glass cooling his burning skin "Listen I came here to tell you that I'm going with the team to Cragmoor Prison to see if we can force Charlie to tell us if we can reverse what he did to you... if that doesn't work Adrain is going to try his tattoo on the team, so at least you can still see us" Max watched Evie as she talked and he only just took her words in "Just... be careful" Evie smiled at him and put her hand up to the glass again, Max did the same "Careful is my middle name" then she was gone, walking away with Nova's hand on the small of her back, Max gripped the walkie-talkie in his hand and he slid onto the floor, leaning his head against the glass as he watched Renegades walk by, he stared at the floor, determined not to look at their sympathetic faces. He felt like an animal trapped in a cage, unable to do what he wanted, be with who he loved, stuck, like he was six years ago. Only now, he knew what it was like to be hugged by people who weren't Hugh, to wake up in the morning smelling breakfast burning. He looked up when a small package fell from his door, he stood up and walked over to it, looking around but no one was to be seen, he opened it and reached inside, he felt fabric and pulled it out, it was a small hoodie, it had a note attached to it, written in Evie's un-mistakable neat handwriting 'I always steal your hoodies when I miss you, hopefully I can do that again soon, but for now have mine' he smiled and tucked the note in his back pocket, he pulled the hoodie over his head, the sleeves were too small and it was slightly cropped but he didn't care, he held it up to his nose, inhaling Evie's scent, it both comforted and saddened him, even though she took part in his powers coming back. He wouldn't give up meeting her for the world.