Chapter sixteen ~ Max

"Max?" Max looked down to see Evie covered in blood at his feet, he immediately crouched down and took her hand, the metallic smell of blood filled his nose and Evie put her hand on his face, smudging the skin with sticky blood "Evie what happened?" She laughed and coughed, blood spurted from her lips and Max put his hand behind her back and sat her up, she leaned her head on his chest and looked up at him "Don't you remember? You did this"
Max sat up quickly and gasped, his heart pounding against his ribs,  Nova jumped out from her skin and moved from the chair she was sat on, Max looked around frantically and saw that Evie was asleep next to him and his brother sleeping on the floor, he looked back at Evie and breathed a sigh of relief when he noticed the slow rise and fall of her chest. He looked back at Nova who sat on his right "How are you feeling?" She whispered and Max looked down at his bare chest, where the hell was his shirt? He touched a small wound on his side and drew his hand back when it stung in protest "What happened?" Nova leaned forward and her fingers gently brushed the wound, Max inhaled sharply and she quickly drew her hand back "The Malefactor... they somehow got their hands on some kind of drug that controls people.... they took control of Leroy Flynn and made him poisen you. You- you almost died" Max looked up at her shocked to see tears forming in her eyes "Sorry" she wiped the tears away and Max pulled her into a hug, she stiffened but then hugged him back "The last few days have been- emotional" Max chuckled and he pulled away from the hug "You don't say" they shared a smile and Nova stood up, wiping the tears away and grabbing what looked like was the remains of his shirt from the floor "Sorry, Adrain had to cut your shirt open" Max shook his head and smiled slightly "Don't worry about it, it's just a piece of fabric" he shrugged and Nova smiled slightly and picked up one of his hoodie's "Oh hell yes" she lightly chuckled and handed him the hoodie, he pulled it over his head and lay back on the bed "Now that's much better" Nova laughed and Adrain stirred, muttering something before opening his eyes "Max!" He nearly flew off the floor and Max quickly sat up before Adrain tackled him in a hug "You scared me" Max patted his brothers shoulder "Sorry, I must be a villain magnet" Adrian laughed and he pulled back from the hug "You almost died" he sat in the chair and waved Nova, who had retreated into a corner, over, she walked over and he pulled her onto his knee, Max leaned on his elbows and looked at his brother and his girlfriend, a girl he considered like a big sister "I know" Max replied and he sighed, laying back and putting his arms behind his head, he glanced at Evie and probably looked at her for way too long because Adrain cleared his throat and as soon as Max turned towards him he raised an eyebrow. Nova caught on and her eyes widened "Clearly us Artino's must be un-resistible to the Everharts" Adrain and Max both laughed and Evie started stirring, Max put a hand over his mouth and Evie moved closer to him, putting her arm over his stomach, before going back to sleep, Max looked up at Adrain and Nova who both looked at him smirking "Shut up" he mumbled, his cheeks burning with embarrassment.