Chapter seventeen ~ Evie

The familiar smell of the basement surrounded her and she didn't even have to look down to tell she was tied to the chair again, she raised an eyebrow and the Malefactor moved out of the shadows "Don't get too comfortable" she sighed and leaned back in the chair "You hurt him" she said calmly even though she wanted to obliterate him, the Malefactors leaned back and twirled what looked like a dagger in his gloved hand "You were being too slow" Evie scoffed and she twisted her wrists, the rope dug into her skin "I had other issues to deal with, plus if you haven't noticed, his family isn't the easiest to trick" The Malefactor looked behind her and she turned back just in time to see a knife hurling at her, she dodged and the knife buried itself in the nearby wall. Evie looked at the Malefactor who pulled the knife from the wall and pointed the tip towards her "Next time she won't miss. Get him here by the Winters Ball" Evie opened her mouth to say something but suddenly she awoke, gasping, Max, who lay beside her, opened his eyes and frowned "Are you okay?" He asked, his voice groggy, Jesus that morning voice made her feel like Danna was flying around her stomach "Max! You're okay!" She wrapped her arms around his neck and hugged him, he hesitated slightly before hugging her back "Yeah, I'm okay" he stroked her hair and Evie pulled back, he tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and she felt herself blushing and she met his eyes "Max I-" he cut her off by asking a question that she would never forget "May I kiss you?" Her eyes widened and she nodded, he smiled and leaned forward, she closed her eyes and his lips met hers, she always thought that books and movies were exaggerating, that kissing was nothing but ways to pass on germs. But as soon as Max kissed her, the world lit up, the world could of ended but she wouldn't of cared, she tangled her hands in his hair and his hands went to her waist holy cheeseballs on crackers, he was good, Max pulled away from the kiss and Evie frowned, opening her eyes and meeting his "Sorry, forgot to breathe" she laughed "So did I" she whispered and moved his hair from his eyes "You have no idea how long I've wanted to do that" Max whispered and she smiled, leaning forward and pressing her lips against his, he kissed her back, pulling her closer by her waist. She heard someone clear their throat and they broke apart so fast Max fell off the bed, the scarred man, Leroy laughed and shook his head "Don't worry I won't tell Nova and Adrain, but you're needed downstairs" he left and Evie felt her cheeks warming up and she leaned over the bed to look at Max "You okay?" He nodded and his face was bright red "Anything hurt?" She asked and he sat up, rolling his neck "Just my pride" she laughed and offered him a hand, he took it and stood up "We better go see what they want" Evie nodded and she climbed from the bed, Max offered her his hand and she gladly took it and they walked down the stairs. Evie took a step back when she saw that the whole of Sketches team, Leroy, Narcissa and Jade and Sterling were all crammed into Nova's tiny living room, Evie saw Max and Adrain share a look and she looked down at their intertwined hands, but much to her disbelief, Max didn't let go and squeezed himself into a spot on the floor, Evie looked around for a place to sit and Max pulled her down, she fell into the gap between his crossed legs and blushed as he put his arms around her "This is cozy" Sterling remarked and made a face at Max, Max made a face back, leaning his chin on Evie's shoulder as she lead back into his warm chest. "So why are we all here?" Max asked, his voice loud in Evie's ear, Adrain leaned forward and looked around "Everyone needs to take off their bands first" the group looked at each other shocked but no one protested, they all put their bands in the middle of the table, Evie stared at hers, knowing that she would definitely receive a dream from the Malefactor tonight. Nova put all the bands in a basket and walked out the room with them, Evie heard her going upstairs and when she returned, sitting on Adrain's leg, Adrain started talking "I took your bands because we think that my dad's have installed microphones in them" Evie looked back at Max who gave her a grim smile, obviously the fact that the Renegades were spying on them didn't come as a surprise to him either. "So we're doing some illegal shit?" Jade asked, grinning like a mad-man, Ruby glared at him and Adrian chuckled "It's not exactly illegal but it's going against what my dads want-" he was cut off by the group cheering, Evie looked back at Max who gave her a small peck on the lips while no one was paying attention, she blushed and leaned her head against the nape of his neck, closing her eyes and inhaling his familiar sent, she looked around at the group that was excitedly sharing stories and high-fives and caught Nova's eye, the girl raised an eyebrow and Evie blushed, obviously Max and her were more obvious than she thought.