Chapter fifteen ~ Evie

Evie looked up from her cup of tea at the loud banging on the door, Nova frowned and stood up, opening the door "Hey Adrain what-" she shouted out and Evie quickly ran to the door, Adrain was holding up an unconscious man with a scarred face and Max- She quickly took Max from him while Nova took the man "Leroy! What happened" she looked at Adrain "I don't know but I think he poisoned Max" Evie held Max tightly and lifted his head, his skin was a paleish green colour that couldn't possibly be healthy "Get him upstairs" She nodded and she heaved him up, putting her arm under his legs, he was heavy but she was determined not to drop him, she rushed up stairs and put him softly down on a bed, she moved his hair from his eyes and his forehead was feverish "He's burning up" her voice cracked and Nova and Adrian put the man down on the floor and rushed to Max, Adrain pushed Evie aside and cut Max's shirt open, she gasped but not from his muscular physique, he had a small gash on his side that was oozing what looked like green gas "That's definitely one of Leroy's poisons" Nova looked at the man and went over to him and backhanded him hard across the face, the man gasped and opened his eyes "Nova?" Nova pinned him to the wall "You poisoned Max, so if you want to live you better cure him. Now" the man frowned and looked at Evie and then Adrian and Max who lay unnervingly still on the bed "I do not remember" Nova pulled the guy up "You can explain after you save him" she pushed him towards Max and he stumbled before moving past Evie to get a better look at him "Oh dear" he mumbled and looked up at Nova "Get my chemistry set, we only have a few minutes before his body shuts down" Nova ran out of the room and Evie held back sobs and she sat on the edge of the bed and looked at Max before looking up at Leroy, his scarred face, it brought up some kind of memory, of course! He was the guy she had saw at the first Renegades parade that featured Nova as a hero, he was slightly older and more grey-haired but it was un-deniably him, Nova came rushing in with what looked like a child's chemistry set and Leroy started working quickly, mixing chemicals that stunk so bad that made Evie's eyes burn, she reached for Max's limp hand and held it in her own, unlike his forehead it was un-naturally cold "His hand is like ice-" she muttered and Leroy cursed and looked at Max "I need a syringe" he looked at Adrian "Draw me one" Adrain started to protest and Leroy slammed a hand down "Do you want him to die?" Adrain quickly drew a syringe and pulled it out from the wall and handed it to Leroy, who filled it with vile smelling liquid "Nova I need your power on standby" Nova nodded and she sat next to Evie, gently taking Max's hand from her, Leroy stabbed the needle into Max's side and his eyes flew open and he gasped, Leroy pushed the plunger down and Max screamed, the scream alone was filled with so much pain it made Evie's heart shatter "NOW NOVA" Leroy shouted and Max's screams cut off, his eyes fluttered and closed, his head falling back onto the pillow and his deep breaths filled the now silent room, the gas had stopped escaping the wound and Leroy gently pulled the syringe from Max's side "That was close" he sighed and Adrain grabbed him and pinned him against the wall "Why did you poison my brother" Despite the hostility in Adrain's voice Leroy remained calm "I did not poison your brother boy, I was being controlled by the Malefactor" Adrain let go of him and Leroy adjusted his jacket "What do you mean controlled?" Nova asked and Evie took Max's hand again and rubbed it lightly, trying to warm it up. Leroy sighed and he sat down in chair "I do not know who they are, or how they controlled me, but the last thing I remember is someone with a child's mask on injecting me with some kind of drug" Evie looked up too quickly for her own liking but luckily no one seemed to notice "So you think the Malefactor has a drug that controls people?" Adrian asked and Leroy nodded splaying his scarred hands out "I would never hurt Max, he is a friend of Nova's and that means he's a friend of mine" Nova nodded and she met Evie's eyes before looking at Max "He's like a brother to me" Adrain squeezed her shoulder and she leaned into him "The malefactor is stronger than we thought" He muttered and Evie looked down at the bedsheets, hoping that whoever the Malefactor was, that he would keep his promise.