49 - merry christmas, mr. lee

December 19, 2020 9:40 AMMaibaum Building, Gwanak, Seoul

Maibaum Building, Gwanak, Seoul

Seri turned off the display off her phone, leaving it lying face down on the glass panel by the mirror where the toothbrushes and liquid soap bottles were. She held the spare toothbrush that unfortunately was not battery-operated, she had forgotten how those worked. The bristles had to be a harsher variant than what she was used to, too.

She already was populating a mental list of things to buy, hygiene, some makeup, some moisturizing cream. It was like Incheon all over again but in someone's space. The bathroom did not have a tub, another grave loss, but it was kept clean. No grout lines.

As she was brushing her teeth, she stretched her neck and back. Her spine longed for the Cloud Fit mattress of her bed. She was going to need a long full body massage when she got back.

When she opened the door, she was overcome with the scent of breakfast egg rice that Jeong-hyeok was stirring one hand in a pan.

"Mmm, that smells good!" She exclaimed, joining Jeong-hyeok in the kitchenette.

Jeong-hyeok scooped a little of the rice from a tasting spoon and offered it to Seri which she gladly had a bite off.

"Careful it's hot."

Seri's face lit up, "It's delicious..."

"Not bland?"

Seri shook her head and showed a thumbs up, "It's perfect."

Jeong-hyeok smiled, "Sit down, I'll be done here."

"No, I'm helping." Seri rolled up her sleeves up to her elbow. "Jeong-hyeok I have a slight problem..."

Jeong-hyeok's head whirled over to her, "What is it?"

"...I can't go home...or take you to that apartment for that matter."

"Why? What's wrong?"

"Well no, it's more on I don't want to go home." Seri sighed and shook her head, "I have unwanted visitors I don't have the energy to deal with."

Jeong-hyeok turned off the stove. "Who is it?" His eyes hovered over the bowls that were near Seri so she handed those over.

"...My mother." Seri was embarrassed by the admission.

Jeong-hyeok began scooping the rice into the round ceramic containers, "Are things still unpleasant at home?"

"It's a long...nasty story. I really don't want to talk about it. It makes me upset thinking about it." Seri transferred the rice bowls to the coffee table underneath the stairs. "I've discovered something last night, and I learned it the hard way...Since you also know the people concerned, it's embarrassing to talk about it...I don't want to seem like I am playing the victim card or making you take sides. Then someone once told me it's hard to sleep with hate in your heart."