43 - emergency landing

December 11, 2020 9:30 PMAir Traffic Control Tower, Incheon Tower

Air Traffic Control Tower, Incheon Tower

Jung Man-bok was starting his shift after wishing his wife good night and speaking to his son who once again scored the highest in his class. He couldn't help but boast a little to his colleagues, his little U-pil. He just about sat down and wore his headset when the static transmission came. He checked the monitors, speaking to the microphone.

"KR950, do you copy all we hear is static."

The static continued for a few seconds until the radio came in. The plane's alarm system was beeping in the background.

"KR950 has a left engine malfunction. We are descending, requesting to return to Incheon."

"Copy that, KR950." Man-bok's fingers rapidly typing to get more information of the flight. "Is your plane physically on fire?"

"No, not on fire, but a part is missing."

"How many souls on board?"

"One eighty nine."

"KR950 copy, I understand your emergency. Working on some coordination. Let me know when you are ready to come in."

Man-bok was now fast at work communicating with approaching aircrafts to increase their speed so they could land because they had an emergency return, while telling other planes to pull off or divert them elsewhere. A left engine malfunction could mean anything and everything could happen any moment. This was going to be the longest hour.

December 11, 2020 10:13 P.M.
Incheon Airport Expressway

Park Kwang-beom's phone was off the hook, ringing immediately after he finished a call. The last he had heard there were videos spreading all over social media and news breaking faster than he could get actual information from the Ministry of Transport or the airline itself. He couldn't answer everything as he would have wanted, he was speeding 100 km/h on the airport highway, a few minutes from when he received the call that something was going wrong.

"Captain Pyo." Kwang-beom spoke to the speaker, "Has anyone reached General Lee? I'm headed to the airport. Trying to get more information, please tell Ju-meok to stop calling me for now."

***

Seri didn't believe in religion, Christmas was a peak-selling season where people spend 10 times their money on retail shopping than any other season of the year. She had only prayed to herself and herself alone because she was the only person she believed in. Now she did not know which force she sought as her hands clasped together tightly.

He was absolutely right, he had burdened her by knowing him. But now it was as clear as her heart pounding in her chest that withdrawing from him did not lighten any load because thoughts of him still weighed on her. Whether she was receiving electronically-transmitted messages or just finding his face among the crowd. His smile parting the clouds she didn't know were present as he found her again and again.