61 - interrogations

January 15, 2021 10:30 AM
Lee Family Residence, Seongbuk, Seoul

"So. The hearing went well?"

"Yes. I also finished the retraining courses and will be undergoing a medical examination next week. It should all go well and I'll be flying again on the 25th."

"Good."

Jeong-hyeok watched his father sip his tea. He noted it was the brand of green tea that came from Seri last Christmas. His mother sat in front of him, a silent spectator of this current interrogation session as their father-son talks usually had been. A subordinate reporting to his superior. 

His father returned his cup to its saucer, "How do you feel about that?"

Was that a trick question? Jeong-hyeok and his mother exchanged glances across each other. Jeong-hyeok answered, "I feel good about it. I've been meaning to return to work." Perhaps his father meant to test his fidelity to the career path he swore to him years ago, given that he had broken the engagement with Seo Dan, which he once promised to uphold.

"You've been playing the piano recently." His father made the observation, one that could not be denied as piano music could be heard throughout the house whenever he was at home.

"Yes," Jeong-hyeok admitted, his hands unconsciously clasping to reassure each other that they existed and were fully intact.

Chung-ryeol raised an eyebrow, "Is there something you should be telling me, Jeong-hyeok?"

January 14, 2021 8:30 PM
Phonecall

"Well? How did the hearing go?"

"I think the ARAIB was satisfied. Are you home? Have you eaten?"

"Yes, but I'll ask the questions for now. How long did it take?"

"Around 3 hours? They are very detail-oriented."

"What sort of questions were asked?"

"Technical ones, the condition of the flight and the aircraft, the cockpit decisions, the engine settings, the angle of the turn, the decision as to where the flaps were set..."

"You still remember all those things?"

"I have to."

"Amazing...Are you at your parents' place now?"

"Yes."

"Tell your mom I send my regards."

"I did, she's asking about you." 

"That's kind of her."

"How are you? You sound tired."

"I had so many meetings today and in different languages. I'm tired of talking."

"Then you should have sent me a text."

"I want to hear your voice...but I guess you're tired, too."

"Yes. There were many questions and explanations."

"Do you want us to switch to text?"

"I want to hear your voice, too."

"Heh, we'll lose our voices this way. You need it when you talk to your father tomorrow."

"I suppose."

"Good luck with that."

"Thanks."

"It's not anything serious, right?"

"He probably just wants to ask about my flight status. Are you listening to Satie?"

"What's Satie?"

"The music. Erik Satie."