16 - spur of the moment

November 4, 2020, 2:35 P.M.
Frankfurt Airport Terminal 1

Jeong-hyeok needed not look far and wide for a piano when there was one smack dab in the middle of Frankfurt Airport. The Bechstein grand piano was installed at Terminal 1 for public use, catering to travelling piano enthusiasts who want to create spontaneous performances. He sat down on the bench and couldn't help but smile as he brushed the keys like greeting an old friend. He could just turn on the recording app, play a song and then he would have something to send. The only thing left for him to do was to spread his fingers like a fan on the ivory keys and hit the first note.

His phone vibrated in his pocket.  A recent habit had him reaching quickly with some anticipation. 

But the message wasn't what he expected at all.

November 4, 2020 9:05 P.M.
Pairing Room, Gangnam, Seoul

Both women were undergoing something, unbeknownst to each other. For the CEO of Seri's Choice, she had store openings, holiday sales, winter promotions and Christmas charity events coming up. Her personal life, what little it was, took a further back seat. For the heiress of the KMEX malls, it was probably the other way around.

Their conversation started harmless enough with stories about work, Seo Dan for her part was starting to attend meetings and get to know the different teams, Seri talked a bit about the progress in opening her branches. Then both ate quietly. 

"When is Jeong-hyeok coming home this week?"

Seri's question, innocuous as it was, had led Seo Dan's knife to squeak on the plate.

"Friday and Saturday." Seo Dan responded coolly.

Seri nodded, "Do you have any plans?"

"A trip." Seo Dan said, as lukewarm as her glass of water. "To see autumn leaves."

"How romantic." Seri remarked, twirling pasta by her fork. "Time goes fast. I haven't had time to even admire nature."

Seo Dan pondered on this, "Do you want to come along?"

"No, that's between you two." Seri looked up from her plate and saw Seo Dan was staring still, "What's with that look?"

"Come with us, Seri." Seo Dan urged with an encouraging nod. "It would be fun."

Seri laughed at the notion of third-wheeling, "I don't know. Won't I be in the way? You were saying you've been looking for quality time."

Seo Dan shook her head, "No. I think it's a good idea to have a change of scenery and the company will be welcome." Now that the idea latched in her head she couldn't let it go. "Please come with us, Seri. You don't have to skip work. Jeong-hyeok won't be back until late afternoon anyway. Let's leave in the evening. I'll take care of everything, you just need to bring your things and yourself.

The businesswoman in Seri was inclined to say no, even if she was practically free that Saturday. But a part of her did think the prospect seemed fun, it would be nice to escape the city and her worries for a day and go somewhere pretty. Seo Dan seemed insistent too.

Then Seri thought there was something in the urgency of Seo Dan's tone. A cry for help? 

"Okay." Seri agreed, "As long as I don't make it awkward for you and Jeong-hyeok." 

The dinner ended on a happier note. Seo Dan dropped Seri off at her apartment building, telling her she will be in touch.

With Seri back safely, Seo Dan spoke to the driver, "Let's head back home, Alberto."

"