78 - seoul-bound

February 28, 2021 3:00 PM
Mandarin Oriental Milan → Milan Malpensa Airport

After a morning of packing and a final brunch at the terrace, Seri checked out of the hotel. She insisted on taking care of the luggages so the pilot could focus on his pre-flight preparations. They separated at noon so Jeong-hyeok could check out of his own hotel and wait for the minibus that will take the airline crew to the airport.

"Will I still get to see you in the airport?" Seri asked with her hands looped around Jeong-hyeok's neck.

"You might see me in passing but I won't be able to stop." As an apology, Jeong-hyeok planted a kiss on her lips. "Even so, I'm just in the plane. Enjoy the flight."

Seri nodded, letting Jeong-hyeok go with his luggage in tow.

She had a few hours to burn before she had to make her own transfer to Malpensa, there's plenty of time to do some last-minute shopping but it was a Sunday and many shops were closed. She chose to spend her last hours at an outdoor cafe to go back to her notes during her show attendances. Her carousel of photos showing various runways, coutures and models would soon give way to a pizzeria selfie, a shot of the Duomo against the blue sky, the many angles of a photographer, his camera and his good looks...Her camera roll that often had impressions taken by her during work was enriched with new locations, food and memories she never expected to have.

***

Jeong-hyeok picked up his uniform from his hotel laundry and changed into it before meeting some of the crew assembled at the lobby. His arrival signaled them to stop talking among themselves, straightening up. Even though all Jeong-hyeok did was to say hello.

In the bus there were a few polite words exchanged. "How was your stay?" "Good, you Captain?" "Good." Jeong-hyeok didn't mind sharing a few of the places he had been. The first officer and some flight attendants talked about spending a full day at the Serravalle Designer Outlet, an hour away from the city center and shopped their euros away for luxury brands sold at bargain prices. Then the crew discussed the celebrities they have seen casually crossing the road and such because it was fashion week and there was a fancy gala event.

Two hours before flight, the pilots gathered at the planning area for the briefing presided by Jeong-hyeok. There, he and the first-officer received the final flight plan which contained the travel path to Korea, the length of the trip, the amount of fuel allotted and the expected weather. They moved into the plane in the next hour so they could meet with the flight attendants.

 They moved into the plane in the next hour so they could meet with the flight attendants

KR 902 First Class
2 hours into the flight

Seri was one of the first to the plane with her priority check-in and boarding privilege (following a line of wheelchaired senior passengers). Her cabin, which resembled an office cubicle, was located at the lower deck by the nose of the plane, so the cockpit was directly above her. Seri liked everything about her accommodations and the fact that it was spacious enough to take up 4 windows. But she didn't care much for the amenity kit with a questionable brand and the colors of the cabin which resembled a hospital from the eighties. Her personal attendant, who introduced herself as Hyun Min-ji, was profusely friendly and thoroughly attentive to her needs. Seri was extra friendly to her knowing she must be someone who spoke to Jeong-hyeok a few moments ago.