45 - second life

December 12, 2020 9:20 AM
Ko Family Residence

"Myeong-eun! Myeong-eun!"

Seo Dan lifted her cup to her lips as her uncle rushed to their breakfast table in panic with a roll of newspaper, nearly colliding with a household staff holding a steaming teapot.

"What is it? Why are you up in a tizzy?" Ko Myeong-eun asked her brother in annoyance.

Ko Myeong-suk caught his breath and spoke in haltering words. "Did you know? Lee Jeong-hyeok? Was in a plane accident?"

"What??" Myeong-eun burst-out in English.

Seo Dan nearly dropped her cup.

Myeong-suk shoved some plates so he could spread out the roll of newspaper that showed the damaged plane and the headline: <b>KR Flight Makes Emergency Landing After Engine Damage</b>.

"Lee Jeong-hyeok. Was flying that plane!" 

"Oh my goodness! Is he alive?" Myeong-eun grabbed the paper, quickly scanning through the details. 

"Yes." Myeong-suk took his seat next to his sister and filled himself a glass of water. "He's recovering in the hospital now. I spoke to Chung-ryeol. He's being transferred to Seoul from Incheon. I'll visit him later."

"What is he being treated for?" Seo Dan asked.

"Nothing life-threatening. He inhaled some smoke and sprained his ankle." Myeong-suk picked up his chopsticks. "I tell you, what he did? That takes some skill. Two years ago, there was a similar accident in the US and the fan blade actually punctured the plane and someone ended up being sucked out of the window. Nothing of that sort happened here. He's living his second life and so are those 189 passengers."

"Well good thing nothing happened to them...It must be nerve-wracking for Yun-hui and Chung-ryeol..." Myeong-eun clicked her tongue, "It's a good thing you're no longer engaged to him, Dani..." 

"Hey Myeong-eun." His brother admonished. "Just be glad the person's alive."

But Seo Dan was already deep in that thought. If that accident would have happened while she and Jeong-hyeok were still seeing each other, Seo Dan would have dropped everything and gone to where he was. Yes, she was spared of the shock and the anxiety, but still...she wondered about this scenario that she would be the one taking care of him. Should she at least call him or send him a message?

"Dani? Hello?" Her mother waved her hand in front of her face.

Seo Dan blinked, "What?"

"Could you pass the fish, please?"

Her mind was still pondering as she reached and passed the dish. Her life would go on like one does after hearing terrible news that did not directly affect her. It was...strange.

December 12, 2020 Noon
Incheon Airport Expressway

The first half of the ride was spent mostly in silence. Kim Ju-meok was just about bursting in the seams to say just about anything, particularly if he could get some sort of special discount card for Seri's Choice, something that does not actually exist. Chi-su too had his arms tightly crossed as though they were the last thing that could keep his mouth together.

Their heiress was quiet, staring out the window next to Geum Eun-dong. It was left to him to break the ice.

"Do you want something to eat or drink, Ms Seri?" Something that immediately struck a nerve at Pyo Chi-su as those were the rations he bought for them three, thank you very much.

"That is sweet of you, but I am good." Seri declined politely, "I ate before leaving for the hospital...What do you have though?"

Eun-dong opened his eco shopping bag, "It's mostly chips..."