66 - jet-lagged heart

January 27, 2020 6:30 AM
Seri's Apartment

Seri took GMT to heart that she might be living in that timezone, just so she could anticipate when Jeong-hyeok might be online. But he did not go on as much as she hoped. The pilot greeted her in the morning and that was it, she never heard from him the whole day until it was her turn to sleep. He did preempt her. But could he really bear that? Not even sending one message even if he was in the subway or when he was having coffee. Seri wondered if she was just expecting too much; she tried reading back to their messages to analyze the gaps, much more than the estimated sales return of Seri's Choice Valentine's Day and Seollal campaigns. Perhaps it was different back then because she held him under no obligations, but now...

Never had she scampered so fast to the other side of the room when she heard her notification tone only to see it was Kwang-beom and she remembered she asked him if Jeong-hyeok messaged. It turned out he messaged him at the same time she got one.

Seri's heart fell like a dull thud back on the ground as she typed her thanks and a new question: "What do you pilots do in layovers anyway?"

Kwang-beom: "It depends how much time we have and the weather outside. If we don't have a lot of time, we stay at the hotel, watch TV, work-out in the gym or sleep. If we have time, we do some sightseeing."

Seri tried to understand, maybe Jeong-hyeok longed to be out of the country. She told herself over and over again not to be the clingy girlfriend. He was a pilot, he desired freedom in the skies, those kinds of things. He would hate the over-attachment.

But she still nursed a stubborn hope that she would hear from him before her day ended and that her last message to him that afternoon: ("I'm back home. Hope it's not too cold out there.") would soon have a response.

She got a response at 5 in the morning the next day. 

"I'm at the hotel now. The cold is manageable. I was just going around shops. How are you?"

She started typing: "Just going out of my mind waiting for a text message."

But she did not, in fact, send it. Which was not typical of her. She was not the type to smother spite.