11 - downtime

October 27, 2020 10:30 AM
East Dulwich, Gangnam-gu, Seoul

Seo Dan was a statuesque beauty, the kind that brought her to the runways of New York and Italy. It was a short-lived career, something she did for fun during the summer break. Seri had always admired how the woman carried her poise, eyes were drawn to her height, the way she would flip her hair and the cadence of her heels as she approached the table.

She had various degrees of smiles depending on how close she was to the person. To associates and even to some friends, she relegated a business card smile, one that was formal and tempered with some gentleness so as not to appear outwardly imperious. Not so for Seri who she became close with even for a year. It was like meeting a sister, someone she had no qualms of hugging even though she had not seen her in years.

Seri for her part was eager to return the gesture before taking their respective seats across each other. After their orders were selected and given, Seri asked the first question.

"How have you been? How are you settling?"

Seo Dan smiled, "Good, I've mostly unpacked." This had her remembering something and reaching down "These are for you."

"You really shouldn't have." Seri began to protest but the gift bag was extended to her and she had no choice but to accept. Her eyes widened, "Kitkat bars?? You'll make me fat!"

Seo Dan was pleased with the reaction, "Everytime I see those candies, I think of you. Those are new flavors."

"I will have more than a few things in my cupboard now. Thank you." Seri placed it beside her, "So you're finally settling here? How did your mother even convince you?"

Seo Dan exhaled, "Let's say I've been bored, and my mother's been telling me I need to think about the future so I might as well help run the business. You on the other hand have been very successful.

"Oh pshh," Seri waved her hand dismissively, "You know, there are still a few things.

"KOSDAQ?" Seo Dan guessed.

"Exactly." Seri confirmed.

"I know you will get it."

"Thank you, with KMEX's help I would be closer to that goal." Seri smiled, "Have you been meeting with other people?"

Seo Dan's eyebrows hiked up as though in exasperation,"Yes, last night I met with some of my old high-school friends. They never changed. I couldn't relate though, they are all married, all with children."

"When is that happening for you, Ms Seo Dan?" Seri teased, "Isn't there a long-time boyfriend?"

"Yes...well..." Seo Dan hesitated, "Our families are saying we should finally consider marriage but..."

"But?" Seri egged on.

"I don't know, he doesn't seem ready."

"Why is that?"

Seo Dan became pensive, "Ever since his brother died...His mind has gone far away. We still talk but he seems to do it out of politeness more than anything."

"So where do you both stand now?" Seri asked, crossing her leg under the table.

"Now I'm back here in Seoul it would be easier to meet him." Seo Dan said with a hopeful note, "Here, he goes home once or twice a week. He's a pilot, you see."

Seri nodded, "He's coming with you to the party?"

"Yes." Seo Dan spoke with anticipation, "I'll finally introduce you both." Then she cocked her head to the side, "How about you, Seri? Are you inviting someone over to the party?"