Chapter 29- Breach of Trust

Lilith ran tripping just as she reached the cottage. She barely took notice of the fact that she had hurt her hand as sat in the garden of the cottage. The plants however took notice of her mood. The tree she had grown months ago moved to block the soft rain. A few petals and leaves falling around her, as if it was crying with her. The flowers seemed to bend to touch her dress on comfort.

"Running is your specialty isn't it Lil-bear," Conner said and Lilith sighed, quickly wiping away her tears. "Girlfriend send you this time as well?" Lilith snapped, "She doesn't dictate everything I do Lilith," Conner said, "What do you want Conner?" Lilith asked, "Another dance?" Conner said walking to stand in front of her. "Ones my limit Wonderboy," Lilith said, "Well too bad," Conner said grabbing Lilith's hand and pulling her up into a standing position, Lilith pushed away from Conner. "No Conner I don't want to," she said sternly.
He sighed taking the 'no' with a hurt expression.
Then realized the hand he had grabbed was bleeding. "Your hurt," he said flipping her hand and cradling it in his. "Just a scratch, but my glove." Lilith sighed, Conner had let go of her hand and rushed inside. Seconds later he had a first aid kit in hand. Lilith watched Conner unable to will her body to stop as he tended to her. He sat down setting the kit down as well, Lilith almost involuntarily sat down across from him. He took her injured hand, then slowly and quietly tended her wound. He took off her glove carefully trying to keep as much blood off it as he could.
Lilith's heart squeezed as he held her bare hand. Lilith could count on one hand how many times she had touched another person without her gloves on. Or they touched her, in fact as she sat there thinking about it most of them were Conner. The time he had found out about her powers.
Or the night he comforted her after she found out her father had gone missing. The night of her birthday, and the other night when she had her nightmare. His touch was always so soft. So comforting.
"There," he said holding her hand in his. "Conner," Lilith muttered, "Yes?" Conner asked, looking at her with his kind expression. Her heart sank, and he just sat there waiting for her to speak patiently.
"I'm sorry," Lilith said, "You don't need to apologize, I get it." Conner said, "But I do need to apologize you're always being so nice and I just keep yelling at you-" Lilith stopped talking when Conners's finger touched her lips. "It's fine, everyone has their bad days." He said and she closed her eyes as he pulled his hand away from her lips.

"My days seem to just be getting worse by the moment," Lilith complained, "Perhaps you should try to live by the moment and stop focusing on the bad things," Conner suggested, Lilith pouted and sighed. "Kind of hard, with my mother running lose destroying things. My father disapproving of how I use my powers, and I keep pushing friends away. I'm not even sure if I'm doing it on purpose or not." Lilith said, "Think of it this way, you are back in the young justice league. You have friends that know your secret and still care about you, even if you do push us away from time to time." Conner said taking her hand and holding it to his chest over his heart. Lilith sighed staring at their hands.

"I just don't like feeling this way," Lilith muttered, "What way?" Conner asked, Lilith, pulled her hand from his grip and put the glove back on. It was torn but she felt better having it back on. "Useless and like a third wheel," Lilith sighed looking at him, "A third wheel, when have I ever made you feel like that?" Conner asked, "Just now at the dance, when we hang out with Meg, and even on missions." Lilith said softly, "What?" Conner asked, Lilith, looked away as she stood Conner quickly stood.

"You dance with me once and then Meg came over and I was left alone again. Wally and Artemis try but it's almost the same with them. Honestly, at least with them, I'm playing matchmaker. With you and Meg I feel as if I'm stepping in the middle of a play that wasn't supposed to be in." Lilith said warping her arms around herself, "I keep trying to tell myself that I don't care because I just want to be near you" Lilith said and for a split second considered telling him the truth yet when she opened her mouth what came out wasn't what she wanted to say at all.