Chapter 24- Unrequited love

Lilith hit the tree over and over again the moss growing back in chunks.

"AAAA!" Lilith shrieked letting out her frustration as she fell to her knees in tears. Cradling her now bleeding hand. All her aggravation from the past few days kept building up. She sat on the mass that had suddenly appeared at her feet. She half expected Conner to appear, she almost wished for it as she sat in her on misery. Her hands wrapped around her legs. She looked up as something fell into her hair.

"What?" She said as she lifted her head and pulled a dead twig from her hair. She looked around to find that she surrounded by dead leaves that hadn't been there minutes before. She stood tears streaming down her face as she looked at the tree she had just been sitting up against. It was so dead that she was surprised it was still standing, despite the fact that it had been vibrant and alive moments ago.

"How? I-I don't know I could-" Lilith said swallowing hard as she cautiously touched the trunk of the tree. There was no way to fix it, she wiped away her tears and quickly wrapped her hurt hand. She thought about it the whole way home not noticing until she was about to go inside that flowers had grown where she had stepped. She paused watching them vanish without her say so. She felt the panic rise in her throat again, "Lilith is that you?" Her father asked form inside, she swallowed. "Yes, father," Lilith said and went inside doing her best to act normal.

***

Lilith reached up for the next rock only to have it break on her, it tumbled down hitting the sand below with a low thud. The cliff was tall enough that if she fell at this height she'd break a leg at least, and with the sun starting to reach the horizon it would be dark within an hour or two. She reached around for another handhold but the rocks were all too smooth or crumbly. She didn't even think about a branch peeking out between the stones until suddenly it was there just in reach.

"Hey, I saw that," Conner said from above her with a grin, "I didn't mean to," She said trying to hide her own grin, "No powers, that was the deal. You want to train right?" Conner laughed, "Not fair if I don't know if you are using yours," Lilith muttered, "I heard that," he laughed, "Whatever wonderboy," Lilith muttered with a smile as she followed him up and over the top of the cliff.

"Picturesque isn't it?" Conner said as he and Lilith sat down on the edge of a cliff that overlooked the ocean. Despite the chill in the air from the winter that just didn't seem to want to let go it was a lovely sunset. "Are you sure Meg didn't want to go hiking and rock climbing with us?" Lilith asked, "Na she said something about how boring it was," Conner said with a wave of his hand, "She doesn't like it, the bugs really bug her." Conner laughed and Lilith joined in. Sighing with a smile as she watched the sunset next to him. "I thought you loved the outdoors," Lilith said, "I do love the outdoors, being trapped inside is kinda my worst nightmare."

"Conner, what do you and she even have in common?" Lilith asked, and Conner stared at her then laid back to look at the sky. "Um well...we both like being superheroes, and we're both technically aliens, she's a great cook. She was kinda the first girl I ever knew." Conner rambled, "So you're with her because?" Lilith asked, "I really, really like her. We don't have to have anything in common," Conner shrugged, "Well true I guess, but you should have at least something in common with the person you're in love with." Lilith sighed and laid back to look at the sky with him, "Well we both know that whatever guy you fell for would have to love nature," Conner snickered, "I wouldn't worry about it," Lilith sighed, "Wouldn't worry about what? Wait don't tell me you have a crush on someone," Conner said smiling and sitting up on one hand. Her face turned bright red and she looked away.

"You do! Who-what?" Conner asked, Lilith, shook her head. "It doesn't matter, " Lilith sighed not looking at him but instead a flower that was just starting to bloom. "Yes, it does when I first met you, you hated everyone. Come on tell me who it is." Conne said poking her in the side she pouted and crossed her arms. "No," she said definitely, he sighed. "Could you at least tell me what he's like?" Conner prodded, "No," Lilith said defenetly, "If you can't tell your best friend who can you?" Conner asked, "Who says your my-" She paused because when she had turned to look at him he had moved closer and was now practically leaning over her. In that split second she decided something.