Chapter 4- Flirting with danger

They trained nearly everyday for months and today was no different. Conner hasn't broken a sweat, Lilith on the other hand was dead tired and breathing heavily. She stopped for a second to breath then quickly goes to kick him in the face he stops her kick mid air, "Better but you need to rotate more at your hips." "Okay," she tries again, "Better," he says, she smiles and rain it starts to drizzle down through the tree tops.

"We should stop for today, it's getting late." "Yeah," she agrees and goes to get water. "Oh before I forget I wanted to tell you starting tomorrow I officially a member of the gardening club?" Conner says and Lilith looks back at him surprised, "Why would you want to join my club?" "I wanted something to do when Meg is in practice," Conner explained, "Why don't you just join the football team then?" "Why does everyone want me to join a sport? Whats so wrong with joining the gardening club?" He asked sounded mad, she shakes her head. "Wonder boy, I don't mean you shouldn't join. You can do what ever you want to..." Lilith said, "Then why can't I join?" Conner asked confused, "I...because...." "Because?" Conner says with a small smirk, "Give me a minuet... I'll think of something." She says and he smiles, "There is nothing you could say that would make me not join."

"Fine, what about your friends and your girlfriend?" Lilith asks, "What about them?" "What are they going to think?" Lilith asks putting her hands on her hips. "I could care less what they'll think," Conner shrugs, "You've obviously haven't heard what they say about me around school." "Who cares what they say?" Conner says waving her off. "I don't I just thought you might, because if you join they'll start talking." "Again, why would I care?" Conner asks, "Really Mr. popular doesn't care what people think?" she said sarcastically, "Mr. popular?" He says confused, "Never mind if you really want to join you can, but you have to actually participate in club activities. That means plating, watering, pulling weeds all of it...it's not as easy as it sounds." Lilith says as she gathers her stuff. "If you can do it then I don't see what could be so hard about it." He says, she just rolls her eyes. "Well tomorrow is the perfect day for you to start then," "Why's that?" He asks with a smile, "You'll see," she says taunting slightly.

The next day Conner is walking with Meg and their friends towards the football field. They see Lilith standing next to a pile of fertilizer bags, shes struggling to carry two at the same time. Conner starts walking toward her, "Conner aren't you going to walk me to practice?" Megan asks. "Can't I have to get to my club." Conner said walking away waving. "Wait you joined the gardening club?" One of his friends asks but he was already gone, they watched as he went over to Lilith and took the bags from her easily with one hand.
Lilith says something as she crossed her arms and looks away from him blushing. He laughs and pats her on the head, she swats his hand away. After she says something else they couldn't hear she walks over to the pile and get another bag.

Meg watched them as her friends talked around her, "I can't believe he just left you like that," "Yeah and what's up with him?" "Anybody else wondering why he and she look so chummy?" "Yeah almost like friends," "I've only seen him talk to her like twice," "Do you think they hang out out of school?" "Meg what do you think?"
Meg snapped back to reality and says, "It's fine that he's making new friends. I'm sure nothing is going on between them you guys are just letting your imaginations run wild... but I think we should be getting to practice." Her friends all agreed with her and started to head toward the field, she started to follow but stopped to watch Lilith and Conner as they started spreading the stuff in the bags in the flower beds. Lilith looks over at her and smiles timidly, Meg looks away quickly and follows her friends again.

After Meg leaves with her friends, Lilith turns to Conner. "I don't think she likes me very much," "Why do you think that," Conner asks, "She was just glaring at me," "I think your just imagining things, Meg doesn't hate anyone." Lilith looks at him incredulously, "Oh really?" she says sarcastically, Conner just ignored her.