Chapter 39- Half Lies

Lilith stared at the flower bush not sure where to start. It was still an hour before school started but she couldn't sleep. Dinner from the night before running through her mind. Nothing had really happened but it made her nervous just thinking about Lance having met her father.

"Lilith you're here!" Musa said practically tackling Lilith in a hug, Lilith still surprised at how careful Musa was at not touching her skin in the process. Lilith had to hold the gardening shears at an odd angle so Musa didn't accidentally injure herself.

"M-Morning," Lilith said, before pointing out. "You're here rather early,"

"Edwin and I wanted to work on our project before school, the sooner we finish the better," Musa said cheerfully, Lilith could only make herself nod in agreement. "So how'd your little ice cream thing with Lance go?" Musa asked, "Lance didn't tell you?" Lilith said almost too quickly having expected Lance's whole friend group to know everything already. "No Lance isn't one to blab, but..." Musa paused looking her over then with a smile said. "I see you're wearing his jacket."

"He left it at my house last night, I didn't want to forget to give it back and it was still raining until about an hour ago." Lilith explained quickly, "At your house?" Musa asked seeming ready to hear the gossip. "Yeah," Lilith said looking down. "You don't seem too happy," Musa said taking Lilith's arm and leading her to a bench. "Well..." Lilith started then before she could stop herself she told Musa what had happened after school. Well, most of it.

***

"Lance, Conner, and your father... All in the same room," Musa said, "Yeah, it was super awkward for me, they all seemed oblivious to it. I barely said a word all night, barely sleep a wink too." Lilith sighed, leaning back to look at the cloudy sky.

"Well don't you want Lance and Conner to get along? Best friend and potential boyfriend?" Musa asked slowly, "It's-It's just...I mean... I don't know," Lilith said trying to figure out what to tell Musa. "Does this have something to do with Conner?" Musa asked, not sure what else to say Lilith closed her eyes and slightly nodded as she said. "Yes and no."

"You like him, don't you?" Musa asked slowly, "Yes and no," Lilith repeated, "It's a yes or no question sweetie." Musa whispered, "Y-y-yes, but I shouldn't he has... had a girlfriend and Lance is really nice." Lilith said, "And yet, Lance isn't Conner." Musa finished for her, "It's not that he's not Conner, I'm just concerned for..." Lilith paused not sure how to say, 'For his safety' without having a proper explanation.

"I just really like Lance, but he might resent the fact that he can't touch me. At least after a while, I mean who would want to date someone they can't touch or...Kiss." Lilith finished reluctantly, "If that's what you're concerned about then why does Conner touch you?" Musa asked, "It's not that I'm exactly contagious per se but can cause people who touch me to get a rash. Except for Conner he's immune," Lilith said without thinking, Musa looked confused.

"So could the fact that Conner is immune could be the only reason you like him. I mean what if he wasn't?" Musa asked, "It doesn't matter I shouldn't try to entertain the idea that someone can be with me." Lilith said standing, "But why? What is it that you-?" Musa started standing taking Lilith's gloved hand to stop her, "I don't know, Doctors sure don't." Lilith said knowing it wasn't a complete lie, "What is it?" Musa asked, "Urushiol Dermatitis Syndrome," Lilith spouted, it was a fake condition Batman had made real, just for her.

Something she could tell teachers and people so they wouldn't touch her or make her remove her gloves. If looked it up and find only a small branch of Wane enterprise was working on a cure, something Batman would hope could help Lilith. Not get rid of her powers but at least the curse, but it had been years and nothing, not even a test product.