Chapter 26- Roses are Red

"I want to join them again," Lilith whispered in the mirror, not wanting her father to hear her from the living room where he was reading. Lilith jumped a little when there came a rapping at the window. She rushed over to find Conner just outside, she slid open the window. 

"What are you doing here?" Lilith asked as she watched him climb in the window, "Batman just came back with like ten more missions, I'm here to get you to rejoin the team." Conner said, "Shh, my fathers I'm the next room. Wait why did you go through the window and not just come through the front door?" Lilith asked, and Conner shrugged. "Whatever, Conner it's not like I haven't tried. I'm just not good with words, and my father is super overprotective." Lilith said, "So's Batman but you got him to let you join." Conner argued, "Yes after going behind his back, that's not going to work this time." Lilith said, "Then at least try asking," Conner said pushing her towards the door. She barely had time to realize what he was doing before he pushed her out into the living room.

"You can do this," Conner whispered, from the door to her room. "Father," Lilith said softly, tugging on her gloves. "Yes, Pumpkin?" He asked barely glancing up from his book. "Um I was wondering...well actually I wanted to tell you...ask you....if-if" Lilith rambled her words giving out. "She wants to rejoin the Young Justice League." Conner said confidently walking out of her room, "C-Conner!" She stammered, his sudden appearance from her room seeming to wake her father. "You-you want to rejoin that hero team?" Her Father asked standing and setting her book aside. "Y-yes Father I want to rejoin the team, I want to be a hero," Lilith said her voice quiet but strong as she half stepped behind Conner who had walked into the middle of the living room.

"But you don't have to Pumpkin. I'm safe, and Batmans looking for Ivy." He said looking between them confused, "It's not just about you father, I want to help others. I want to help the world." Lilith said still half hiding behind Conner who was smiling at her proudly. "Are you sure?" Her father asked, "Yes Father I want to be a hero, and the young justice league can help me. I'll have others watching my back so I won't be alone." Lilith said, "I won't let any harm come to her sir." Conner said, her father looked between them.
"You can't guarantee that," he said shaking his head. Lilith's heart sank then hardened as she finally stepped out from behind Conner.
"You're right he can't, but that's not the point. I will get injured it's to be expected in any job, especially one as dangerous as being a hero. However I don't care a few bruises and cuts, even broken bones won't scare me away. I want to be a hero father, and I will be. I just hope you will support my dream." Lilith said sternly. Her father looked at her and she felt as if it had been a long time since he really looked at her like that. Like she wasn't his little girl.
"Fine," he sighed, and she smiled as her heart flew. "With some restrictions, which we can talk about later." He said and Lilith smiled up at Conner. "Now when did you get here and why were you in her room?"
Lilith looked between them unsure how to respond. "I didn't think she'd listen if I came through the front door, but we tell Batman your back on the team right away," Conner said and started dragging her out of the house. She gave her Father an encouraging smile.
***
It took no time for Conner to tell Batman and after a quick phone call, he approved her reinstatement.
"Cookies to celebrate," Conner suggested walking to the kitchen reaching into the back of the cupboard for the good cookies. "What are we celebrating?" Meg asked sounding happy until She saw Lilith standing in the kitchen. "Lilith is back on the team," Conner said gleefully, "She is? that's great," Meg said with as much fake enthusiasm as she could manage. Lilith sighed and took the cookie Conner offered her. "Superboy ready to go?" Robin said as he came into the kitchen, "Go?" Conner asked, "We have a mission...Batman told us about it an hour ago." Robin said, "Riiiiight," Conner sighed, "Welp... Too bad, we were having fun." Meg said sarcastically, which Conner seemed to not notice.

 "Go you're just missing a cookie, we can celebrate when you return," Lilith assured him and he smiled, right see you both later. He said giving Meg a peck on the cheek and almost giving Lilith one before he seemed to realize what he was doing and stopped himself and instead opted for patting her shoulder before leaving her alone with Meg. Lilith sat awkwardly nursing her cookie as she headed to her room in the cave to unpack her super suit. Since she was going to need it.