Chapter 27- A Mothers Love

Lilith woke to the smell of bacon and pancakes wafting through the cave. Her father had left the day before on another and despite her pleading to let her stay at the cottage he said no. Despite her hopes that missions would come their way to keep them out of the cave. She, however, had no luck. There was a sudden decrease in missions, due to villains suddenly not doing anything.

Which left Lilith in the cave with Conner who she had just yelled at and Meg who hated her guts. Zatanna was on a mission and their latest new member wasn't supposed to start for a few more days. Lilith walked out of her room and peeked around the corner into the kitchen to find Conner at the stove. No one else in sight, Lilith wanted to sneak past and go straight to the library where she had planned to spend the day. She however was caught before she knew she was caught. 

Wolf was at her hand nuzzling her hand as something crashed to the floor in the kitchen.

 "Wolf!" Conner called, and Wolf bumped into Lilith as he rushed past her to go into the kitchen. "Lilith, good morning," Conner said not looking up as he flipped the pancakes. "Morning," Lilith muttered as she went to the fridge. She was grabbing the orange juice when Conner's arm reached over her shoulder grabbing the eggs. Lilith froze as she practically felt the warmth radiating off of him, it wasn't until he stepped away from her that she regained her composure. Blinking she took the orange juice rounded the counter where Conner was cracking eggs. She reached around him to grab a clean cup. Lilith sat at the bar in the kitchen to drink her juice.

"Breakfast," Conner said placing a full plate in front of her. "What no bacon?" Lilith asked, "Wolfs got it," Conner said looking at the floor where Wolf was eating the bacon that had flipped out of its plate and onto the floor.  "Oh, that's why you called him," Lilith sighed, "Waste not whatnot," Conner shrugged, "Well thanks anyway," Lilith said still not looking at him as she picked at the food. 

"I talked to Meg," Conner said suddenly, "She's your girlfriend I suspect you often do talk to her." Lilith scoffed, "She told me what happened or at least she told me most of it, I think." Conner said, "Did she now?" Lilith muttered unbelievingly,  "She told me that she's jealous," Conner, "That's an understatement," Lilith said through a mouth full of food, "It makes sense though, I have been spending a lot of time with you. Ignoring her," Conner sighed, Lilith choked on her pancake. 

"I mean we're friends Lilith and I'm not going to -" Conner paused his words seeming to fail him, Lilith sighed, "Abandon you," Conner added, "Conner we are friends but perhaps you should stop trying to please everyone...I think I've lost my appetite." Lilith said, pushing her plate away, "Lilith," Conner complained and crossed the room blocking her way. "Don't Lilith me, I'm not going to make you choose between me and her. That's not what a friend does, or a girlfriend should for that matter." Lilith said looking up at Conner, he paused as her big round eyes freezing him in place. "I'm fine alone, always have been always will be." Lilith shrugged and Conne wanted not to believe her as she walked past him.

"Lilith perhaps it's time to learn not to be," Conner said as she ran away,  and it took all his willpower not to follow her out that door. The only thing stopping him was the flowers that suddenly bloomed in the pot next to the door. Meg's favorite flowers. Almost as if Lilith was telling him not to follow her, too instead think of Meg. The girl he loved but was starting to wonder about. 

Meg lately always seemed to be hiding an almost darkness he couldn't understand, one that seemed to keep growing. She admitted that she had attacked Lilith out of fear, and upon seeing Lilith's mind realized just how wrong about her she was. Lilith was scared and alone, Conner was her only friend. She loved Batman and her father but they were adults. They didn't understand her not like Conner. 

***

Lilith sat at her desk staring at the reflection of herself in the small mirror. She had tried to take as much time as possible to get ready for the dance which meant she was dressed to the nines. Bright blue sparkly makeup, she had redone it nearly half a dozen times trying to copy a picture she found online. Once she had done that she had put half her hair up and sadly go it right on the first try. So she had spent an hour curling her hair instead.