Chapter. 22

Day: 11

Life Count: 160

George:

He woke up cold.

His arms weren't holding anyone.

His hair wasn't ruffled by a slow breath.

His heart wasn't beating in sync to someone else's pulse.

His mumbled 'good morning' wasn't answered by a deep sleepy voice.

He was alone.

"Dream?" he murmured, his eyes blurrily opening to the dim light of a half-burnt out torch and the noon sun. "Dream, where are you?"

He got up from the cot, his bones aching, his head throbbing with a headache as he stumbled to his feet. His eyes were searching for a green clothed figure, but there was no one else with him in the cave.

Dream was gone.

There was a note, wrapped in a thin vine with a small flower rolled inside a small piece of parchment. George gently untied the note, the white surface covered in Dream's neat handwriting.

George:

I already know what you're going to say, and yes.

I had to do it.

Please try and see it from my point of view, George. Wilbur is threatening the life of people I know, of the people I care about, of the people I love. I can't let him do that, and if I die trying, well than, that's fine. At least I can save you guys.

Don't cry.

Please?

Smile for me. You look so beautiful when you smile. I'll be here, waiting for the day we can be together again. I'll wait forever for you because George...

Goddamit, I love you.

Yeah, um... I really do. I love you so much, and that's why I have to do this. For you, for Sapnap, for Tommy, for Techno, for Tubbo, for Karl, for everyone else here I care about. For everyone who's dead, and for everyone who's still alive. I don't have that much time to write this, but I just want you to know. I fell for you the moment I met you, I fell for you hard, and I will never ever stop loving you.

Don't stop smiling.

Love, Dream.

"Dream..." George wiped his tears away to keep them from smudging the ink on the parchment. "Why?"

He growled softly under his breath, anger, betrayal, and worry surging through him. Anger clouded his vision as he screamed, lashing out and slamming his fist into the wall. Pain shot through his hand as he drew back, glaring at his blood covered knuckles, his skin split from where he punched the stone. The cave wall had a bloody handprint covering the surface, and George just glared at it as he turned to leave. He grabbed his sword, tied it around his waist and ran out of the cave, to get his best friend back.

~

Dream was done.

He was done with life, done with feeling the constant pain of his wounds, done with feeling the warm tears dripping down his face. Done hearing his conscious yelling at him to turn back around, to go back to George. Done waiting for something to happen, for someone else to stand up to stop Wilbur, to end his cruel life.

No one else was going to.

So it might as well be him.

He looked over the meadow, the faint shapes of the people in the small camp still visible in the distance. He could barely see the outline of Philza's signature bucket hat, and Tommy's curly hair. The tree's shadows covered him, making him almost invisible as he crept towards the camp. His eyes were searching for the tall man, scouting him out like a hawk, and his heart froze when he saw the brown beanie of Wilbur. Every time he saw that cruel face, outlined by sunlight, all his old wounds hurt again, and his breathing became uneven. The way that man held himself, like he ruled the word, just gave him an aura of such fear that it crept into Dream's mind. His conscious was screaming at him to go back, to run away from this, come back and finish the job when he was stronger.