Chapter. 28

Day: 15

Life Count: 113

Techno:

He'd heard it all.

His light brown shirt and pants blended perfectly with the wood of the tree behind him, leaves covering his face as he sat and listened. He was perched in a sturdy pine tree in the forest, watching Wilbur as he scribbled back his reply to Dream. Why would he give himself up this easily, even if it was just to stop Wilbur's reign of terror. The man would just go behind Dream's back, and since he was dead, there would be nothing he could do about it.

Then it had to be a trap.

Dream was calculative, he analyzed every situation before he got into it, and he always had ever other option secured. There was no way he would actually do this, just give himself up, die then leave his friends exposed for Wilbur to wipe them out. Another funny thing that Techno had noticed while his brother was reading out the letter of Dream's surrender.

Everyone thought he was dead.

Both Dream's base and Wilbur's camp thought he'd been killed by his brother, everyone thought he was gone. Wilbur looked so happy when he'd read that part, Dream's confirmation that Techno was dead. Phil looked absolutely horrified and Jack looked like he was going to be sick, but Dream was lying to him.

Technoblade never dies.

He was still alive, in a tree, hiding in plain sight from the man, his own brother, who had almost killed him. He wanted so badly to catch Phil's wide and horrified tear filled eyes, to tell his father he was okay. He wanted to wrap his arms around Tommy as he peaked out from behind Wilbur's tent, to embrace the shaking, sobbing kid. Instead, he had to sit there, uselessly watching as Phil grabbed Tommy's hand and ran away from the camp, tears pouring from their faces as they ran away from Wilbur. He saw their forms sprinting away from him, probably going somewhere where they could mourn in peace.

Mourn over him.

He missed them so much, every day, the longing burning in him like fire, but his secrecy was the only thing keeping him alive. Well, a portion of it was him being thought to be dead, the other half was the blond haired, sarcastic, and sweet boy who had saved his life.

Purpled.

He didn't know why the kid was helping him this much, usually the only people who'd ever helped him would later use him for their greater benefit. But Purpled had only helped him out, never used him as a weapon, or just as a powerful ally to destroy his enemies. The kid hadn't even asked for anything in return, just said he'd saved Techno because 'it was the right thing to do'.

That kid was selfless.

Techno had seen him stop his fighting practice just to help a butterfly escape from a spider's web. He'd seen Purpled cut down and spring animal traps, carefully working the wires until the metal jaws of the trap sprung open. He would then tend to the trapped animal's wounds, using some of their own supplies of herbs and bandages to wrap a fawn's leg, or patch a fox's ear. He'd seen the care in the kid's eyes as he gently released a young bird who'd fallen from it's nest, the joy as the bird flapped away, the little smile that came to his face.

He would protect that kid at all costs.

Not just for a life debt, just because Purpled was too young, too innocent to have his life be stolen from him so soon.

Because this was someone he cared about.

He pushed open the door to the little cottage and was greeted by a sword to his neck. Techno's eyes widened in shock, then he looked down the sparkling blue blade and into the kid's narrowed eyes. Purpled jumped a little as he met Techno's eyes, surprise flashing across his face as he realized who's neck he was currently holding the sword to.