Chapter. 39

Goodbyes:

Dream and George:

They were alone.

Back on the spire of rock that jutted out over the meadows, the soft glow of moonlight falling on their faces. They sat, hand in hand, wrapped in a warm embrace, the sound of an owl cooing echoing from the forest. A light snow was falling, the small flakes dusting their hair and noses as Dream wrapped his arm tighter around his soulmate. George held a small mug of hot cocoa in his hands, the steam from the drink rising in the air, the scent soothing and rich.

"It's kind of weird, to think about it and all." Dream murmured, pressing a kiss to his soulmate's forehead. "Almost a month ago, we were just two nerds who played a block game for a living, and the only thing we had to worry about was a virtual war with a hyperactive child."

"Now we're in a crazy game and we might be about to die forever, like, no respawn or anything." George took a sip of his drink as Dream gently brushed a snowflake from his nose with his fingertip. "Just... gone."

"Let's not think like that." The blond man sighed, twisting some of George's hair into a tiny braid on the side of his head. "Hey, for right now, just try and think positive. I need you to think happy. Keep smiling."

"Okay..." George's lips turned up slightly at the corners as Dream poked him in the side, grinning back. "We are going to kill Wilbur... and win this tomorrow? We're going to get out and not die some horrible way, right?"

"Better," Dream ruffled some of his blond hair, pushing it away from his green eyes, the bright glow mostly back, some of the dullness still there, like a reminder. "But you sound like you're asking a question. We are going to survive. Remember, I still need to take you on a date once we get out. A real date, just me and you."

"I'd like that, a night to have you all to myself." George murmured, laying his head against Dream's chest, listening to his steady heartbeat. "We haven't really gotten a chance to be alone like this, what with you almost dying all the time."

"Yeah, I haven't really gotten time to relax. I'd have to fit that somewhere in between fighting, getting captured and tortured." Dream let out a small, wheezy laugh, a sad sort of edge to it as he caught a snowflake on his tongue. "With everyone out to kill me, I'm surprised I've survived this long."

"Hey, that's not thinking positive." George snapped his fingers in front of Dream's face, a small smile crossing his face. "Turn that frown upside down."

Dream laughed and lay down on his back so he was looking up at George, his lips still turned down. The brown haired man rolled his eyes, reaching out and tapping the blond man on his freckled nose. Dream laughed harder, his stupid wheeze making George start to giggle, his brown eyes crinkling at the corners.

"C'mere." Dream patted the ground beside him, and his soulmate sent him a suspicious glance. "What, I'm not going to kill you or anything."

"This game has given me trust issues." George muttered, and Dream laughed as the brown haired man lay down beside him, pressing himself into the blond man's side. "I've lost friends and gained friends over this game."

Dream was silent for a bit.

"You know... we're going to be fighting with him tomorrow. We're going to be against Sapnap." The blond man finally murmured, rubbing his hands together, his breath puffing out in frozen clouds. "We're going to have to fight him."

"Dream, he's not who you think he is..." George began hesitantly, but his soulmate laughed beside him, surprising the brown haired man.

"Yeah, I know that already. He betrayed me, then he hurt me and almost killed me." The green eyed man smiled sadly at George. "I know he's too far gone."