Chapter 20

"Hange!"

Called by her name, the female in glasses spring away from fright over where she was sitting. Papers flew all over the table and one even landed on her head.

"Levi?! What?! Titan?! Where?!" The frantic woman asked looking around the office vicinity.

*Levi POV*

I hissed, lightly hitting the back of her head. "The shitty brat is sick. Check if her bones and organs are intact."

"Sick?! Bones?! Organs?! That's even worse! Is she dying?!" Shitty glasses began to panic, running around the room.

"She's really going to die if you keep on running around doing nothing." I said making her stop. "Go and nurse her, her life depends in your hands."

It seems like she didn't heard me as she screams "My beautiful genius! No!!!!" And bolted through the open door. But came back just a matter of seconds and grabbed her first aid before running out again like a madman.

I sighed, shook my head in irritation and walked out of the room as well to make my way towards my own office. I pinched the bridge of my nose letting out a muffled sigh.

Soon as I reached my office, the mountain of papers welcomed me. Some piles were gathered on the floor that it made me wonder what my job really is. Write a report and read other's report like a never ending routine probably until I die...

.

.

.

Hange POV(yay!)

"You don't look like you're dying... well, are you?" I tilted my head looking at the  girl who was lying down the bed and had a cloth draped on her forehead.

Y/n POV

I carefully shook my head to ensure that the cloth won't fall on my pillow.

"Well, not that I'm aware of but I don't think I'm going to die yet..." I replied sheepishly. "Wait. Do you want me to die, squad leader Hange?" I quickly asked.

(Nah kidding. LezgobacktoHange)

Hange POV

I laughed. "Of course not! Why would I come here just to let you die?!" I asked cheerily at her.

I ran all the way here and saw her eyes closed and unmoving. Of course, due to panic and thought that she's dying, I ended up shaking her frantically and screaming her name that caused her to wake up almost as shocked as I was when I heard the news from Levi.

Currently in the date of xx, month of xx and year of 850, for a long time in a while, I ended up in an awkward situation to a sick cadet whom I thought would be dying today...

I let out a fake cough. "So, how do you feel?" I asked.

And she let out a genuine dry and pained cough. Poor child. "I'm faring well, thanks for captain's kind and benevolent heart." She replied.

Although weak, I could tell the hint that she was being sarcastic and if she had enough strength, she would've been rolling her eyes.

I laughed. "Well I have never heard anyone praised him with those unfitting word. Only you have seen that side of him." I sat on the chair beside her bed. "Must be a nice feeling, huh?" I teased.

She deadpanned at me. A face that states clearly 'are you fucking kidding me?' Type of expression. I laughed again. I knew that face well because that look was usually worn in Levi's expression towards everybody else who looks ridiculous. Well, I'm the one who get that expression a lot from him so I knew just what it means.

"So I heard. Did Levi tell you anything while he's here?"

"Well he called me idiot..." she frowned. "And gave me a day off..?" She added unsure.

"Well a forced day off only means a stockpile of work. But don't worry about it! I'm sure he's finishing them off on his own." I shrugged. Of course, it's Levi's original job alone. Y/n just entered the picture to help him out. "Besiiides, he has deadlines to chase so he needed to lessen the load even without you. So all you have to do is rest. Rest more or else he'll kick the shit out of you."

I watched her thoughtfully looked up the ceiling. Smiling, I took out some grinded medicine and pour a small packet on her drinking water. I helped her up and handed the wooden cup.

"Have some. It'll help you recover faster." I instructed. Her injuries must've triggered her due to her working early during recovery phase. No wonder that shorty's been oit of it since morning when he realized that she's not going to attend breakfast.

"Thanks." She took the cup and had a small sip each time with a look of distaste.

"You should drink it in one go. It's really bitter so I wouldn't recommend a slow pace drinking."

She did so what I told her to do, letting out three gulps in chugging the water before looking ever so unpleased by the taste.

"Squad leader, did you ever know Elize?" She suddenly asked out of the blue.

"Yeah, I've heard of her. Even worked with her a few times in the expedition." Tho I didn't know she was Levi's ex fiance. And she's always been on the other side of the flank so I didn't get to memorize much of her features. Erwin did say she looks like Y/n so I could only think that she's a younger version of Elize.

"What kind of person is she?"

"Well, I heard that she's a really strong and efficient squad leader. If she didn't leave a criminal image, she would've been no doubt a hero." I explained.

"Then I'll be the hero." She laughed. I looked at her as she let out yet another cough.

I hummed. "Do you want to fulfil her last wishes or something?" I asked.

"Of course not." She said. "Back then before I entered the military, I heard that she was 1st on her batch. So I aimed for 1 but thought about it. Being 1st like her is boring and doesn't really help with my struggles." She paused and let out a tired sigh. "I heard her kill count was 57, I'll surpass that... I'm going to be better."

I took the cloth on her forehead and soaked it again, writhing the towel almost dry before putting it back to her forehead. "Why do you look like you are obsessed to surpass her so badly?" I asked. As a scientist, I've always been curious to many things. Even in personal affairs, there are things that's I always wonder about. One of them, is probably this.

"Because she haunts me a lot." Y/n replied, smiling and almost feeling ridiculous by what she had said herself. "I have to act a noble like Elize, I need to do this and that. Everything about her make me feel like I am nothing but a fake replacement. But whenever I do something I can be proud of, I get compared to a dead person."

I somehow felt bad for her. We've been pushing Levi to her as means of a second chance but never actually thought what her thoughts are.

We talked more. Seeing as Y/n looked as open as now felt like she really wouldn't remember a thing about this when she feels better. But after that, she was mostly just occupied by her fever and ended up falling back to sleep.

Having nothing else to do, I left back to my office and continued my research-- well to be more precise, the research that Y/n started which I am currently trying to add more point of proof while experimenting on my two best friends Sunny and Bean.