Chapter 11

Your POV

“You don’t belong here.”

I blew my cheeks as I swipe the mo p on the floor, irritated by the fact that I have to be faced with cruel sentences everyday from people I don’t expect to rant into my face every now and then . First, there is captain Levi with his unsociable choice of uncoated words. Then earlier today, I have to hear an earful from a parent who doesn’t really care about my well-being but because it’s simply obligatory since I’m still of use.

I g ritted my teeth, gripping the mo p in my hand tightly as I pushed it into the floor. “Who cares about that?” I grunted. I placed the mop back into the bucket of water with a sigh as I grabbed the handle and carried it towards the exit in an attempt to clean the other room. But upon my supposed exit, the captain with the sharp tongue himself blocked my way on the door.

He looked at the room and then back to me with a frown. “What are you doing?” he asked.

Obviously— “I’m cleaning.” I replied nonchalantly.

“You call that clean, brat?” he asked.

I turned around to see my masterpiece, surprised to actually see a room damped with water almost like a natural flood . Oh, damn. “I’ll repeat it—”

“Forget it. I’ll get someone to clean after your mess. Come with me, shitty brat, you have other things to do.” Not letting me give a response, he walked off. I simply stared at his deserted spot for seconds before I set aside the mop and followed questioningly.

“What else do I have to do?” I asked.

“Well, take a guess.”

“Umm… be tortured by your kind-hearted words?” I rolled my eyes as I replied sarcastically.

“What did I tell you about speaking with your superior?”

“Captain, I’m learning.” I said back sheepishly .

“You want to see the underground where I’ll lock you now? ”

“No.”

“Then stop being such a little shit.”

I pouted, rolling my eyes as I looked sideways. You’re the one acting likea little shit. We walked quietly into the corridor, hearing the awkward tapping of our shoes that didn’t sync with each other’s phase. I simply watched his feet on the back, trying to figure out his lack of height and patience. Maybe, people born in the underground tends to possess this kind of attitude? Who can I ask about this theory? Maybe c ommander Erwin would answer me.

“The carriage earlier, who’s there?” the captain asked.

“My ever so loving mother.” I replied sarcastically rolling my eyes.

He clicked his tongue. “That bitter face of yours doesn’t really give out the impression that it was ever so loving.” He said.

“Well, she’s the person who can make everyone think that she is otherwise . Anyways, what am I really going to do?” I asked trying to shake off the conversation about my parents.

He eyed me with his peripherals understandingly , actually reading the thought lingering in my mind to avoid parent talks before turning back to looked at the direction of the corridors. “You’ll be memorizing the formation for the expedition.” He said.

I blinked twice, smiling excitedly from his announcement. “Expedition. Great.” I said with a grin until the captain stopped to face the door of his office.

“It will be even greater and a really big help if you just stay here and clean all the cob webs.” He replied in irritation.

I didn’t lose my smile despite his annoying retort. “Why not, captain? I won’t get in the way.” I told him seriously.