Part 28: We need to talk

Michael's point of view 

Well, rehearsals are finally over, and it's 1pm already. We really did a great job since six this morning. Everyone helped and gave the best they could to make this show perfect. I hope everything is going to be fine tonight. I don't want to disappoint my fans, they're so loyal to me! They're like my family, you know. It feels like we're all blood-related, and it feels good to know that I have family all aournd the world when I'm feeling lonely. I love them, they give me so much joy and happiness in my life.

I enterred my dressing room to change my sweaty clothes and to take a quick shower. June was sitting on the couch, playing with her fingers. Something's wrong, I told myself. When she normally plays with a fingers, it means she is nervous, or in trouble. As I watched her hands, I noticed a light bruise on her left wrist. What the hell is that, and who did that to her? I quickly sat next to her, panicking, and took her injured wrist in my hands. 

"Who the hell did that do you?" I hissed. 

She didn't answer, and didn't even look up at me. She just kept looking at her lap.

"June, look at me." I pleaded. As she didn't move an inch, I took her head in my hands to make her look at me. When I met her eyes, I noticed she had been crying by the redness of her eyes. "Tell me, who did this to you?"

"Who's Diana, Michael?" she asked me in a weak voice. 

As I was surprised of this question, I removed my hands from her face. How did she know about her? Who told her about this? 

"Who told you about her?" I asked back. 

"Answer the damn question" she asked me with a low voice. 

"Diana helped me to... To feel less lonely. She was there to comfort me, to keep me compagny." I nervously answered. 

"And to have sex with you", she continued. 

"Um, yeah... But listen, it's over, ok? I got you now." I said, taking her hand in mine. 

She quickly jumped from the couch, and I saw anger all across her face. What did I say?

"Yeah, right! You got me now! This is what I mean for you? I'm your little bitch, just like Diana was? You also told her you loved her, right? You told her eveything you told me? God dammnit, Michael!"

"NO!" I yelled, standing next to her. "You are definitely not Diana, and I didn't ever love her. She's a call-girl, June! Frank hired her! You're so far from her... you're perfection, and I'm madly in love with you." I put my hands on both of her forearms, "I never said to anyone what I told you yesterday, and I was 100% honnest with you. I love you, June." 

I hugged her tightly, but she didn't hug me back. 

"I don't want to be hurt again." she said between sobs. 

"I won't ever hurt you on purpose. Ever." I said, rubbing her back. "Don't cry, love. It's going to be fine. We're fine."

"No, we won't be, Michael. He's eveil, he wants to break us, he wants to break me." she said, looking at me with teary eyes. 

"Who? Who are you talking about?" I asked her.

"F-Frank." she stuttered. "He did this to me. Then he pushed my on the wall, and told me I meant nothing to you, that I was just another Diana to you. That I was you distraction."

My eyes widened and I stepped back from June in disbelief. I couldn't believe it. First, he acts all bossy with me like he is the king of the world, and then he is violent with my girlfriend and tries to make her breaking up with me? Well, game over, buddy. It didn't work. I felt my head boiling with anger, and my blood pressure rising. I turned around to the door, without saying anything, and opened it. 

"No!" June yelled behind me, grabbing my arm. "Michael stay here. Don't do that."

I looked at her, closing the door. Why did she do that?

"Why?" I asked, confused.

"No today. You have to think about tonight. I do'nt want you to be upset on stage. Your fans know you, they'll notice this." She calmy explained to me. 

I sat down on the couch again, and put my head in my hands, looking at the floor. 

"I should have told you about Diana. I'm so sorry..." I said, holding my tears. 

"Is she the one who inspired your song Dirty Diana?"

"Yeah... I swear, June, I'm so sorry..." I added, feeling a tear rolling down my cheek. 

"I know", she said, lifting my head up, and wiping my tears away. "Frank is selfish, mean and rude. He doesn't want your happiness, he just wants you to be a robot without any private life, any feelings. That's why he wants you away from me" She marked a short pause. "Michael" she said, smiling to me and carressing my hair. "I love you, and I am sorry. I just overreacted because Frank brainwashed me."

She leaned down to me, and rested her forehead against mine. 

"What are we gonna do?" I asked her, rubbing her cheek with my thumb. 

"First, I wanna do this" she said, placing a soft kiss on my lips. "And then, I may have an idea." she said, smirking. 

"What is it?" I asked, not having a clue about what she's thinking about. 

"Well, Frank thinks he can break us, right?"

I nodded, raising an eyebrow. What is she thinking? 

"He also thinks he has power on us?"

I nodded again "What the point, June?"

"Well, we're not even broken or bent. He didn't succeed. But if he thinks he succeeded, maybe he'll think he won, and leave you alone."

"Uhm mmh." I hummed. "Go on" I asked her. 

"But then, just before we leave Paris, you fire him, and let him all by himself in Paris."

"That's crual", I said with a smirk.

"He has been worse with the both of us."

"I don't know if I can fake it... He has been violent with you, I just want to fire him and never see his face again." I marked a short pause, feeling the anger coming back to me. "I'm not a violent person, but I wish I could just hit him in the face."

June sat on my lap, and wrapped her hands behind my neck. 

"Just relax, and let's do this. You can do it, you're a great actor." she smiled at me. 

I placed my hands on her thighs, and looked at her.

"Let's do this"

She smiled, and kissed my lips again. I put my hand behind her neck to deepen the kiss, when someone knocked at my door. She pulled away.

"Michael, it's Frank. I need to talk to you."

"Wait a sec!" I yelled through the door. I motionned June to hide in my closet, and then took a deep breath.

Time to play.