Chapter 7

Melissa's POV

Harry, Ron, Hermione and I were walking to the Gryffidor common room in silence before Hermione decides to speak. "It's a bit strange, isn't it?" Harry doesn't seem to follow on what Hermione is saying so he asks what's strange. "You hear this voice, a voice only you can hear, and then Mrs. Norris turns up Petrified. It's just... strange."

I then glance towards Harry as he asks a question. "Do you think I should have told them? Dumbledore and the others, I mean?" I shake my head before I decide to speak up. "No, Harry.  Even in the wizarding world, hearing voices isn't a good sign. They wouldn't understand, you did the right thing by staying quiet." I walk ahead of both Ron and Harry, joining Hermione.

————————

It was daytime, I was sitting next to Hermione as we both learn about transfiguration. I fiddle around with my robe as Professor McGonnagal hasn't informs us what we were going to learn about today. "Could I have your attention, please? Right. Now, today, we will be transforming animals into water goblets. Like so. One, two, three, Vera verto." Everyone was amazed by how Professor McGonnagal could achieve such a spell whilst I thought about the first time my father had taught me the spell. It was a winter day, the grass outside was frosty and the air was full of mist interrupting everyones daily activities. However it was the perfect day to sit at home and learn new spells. My father was frustrated over the fact he had lost his 'favourite robe.' To be honest, they all look exactly the same to me, however, he was cheered up by the fact I had learnt the spell quickly.

My thoughts came back to reality when Professor McGonnagal spoke up "Now it's your turn. Well, who would like to go first? Ah! Mr. Weasley. "One, two, three. Vera verto."  She walked over towards Ronald and gestured him to perform the spell, however when Ron tried with his broken wand, his rat did turn into a water goblet but with a tale. His glass doesn't look appealing to drink out of, I wouldn't even touch that furry disgusting cup. How revolting. Everyone started laughing including myself has Ron sat there embarrassed. "That wand needs replacing, Mr. Weasley. Yes, Miss Granger?"

I was so engrossed on Ron's failed attempt of a spell to realise that Hermione had raised her hand to ask a question. I watch my best friend intensely as she speaks. "Professor, I was wondering if you could tell us about...the Chamber of Secrets?"

My attention then focuses itself onto Professor McGonnagal as I await for a 'no.' However it never came. "Very well. You all know, of course, that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age: Godric Gryffidor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin. Three of the founders co-existed quite harmoniously. One did not." McGonnagal spoke as she tilted her head to the side.

"Three guesses who." I heard Ron snigger, I rolled my eyes as I heard his comment.

"Salazar Slytherin wished to be more selective about the students admitted to Hogwarts. He believed magical learning should be kept within all-magic families. In other words, pure-bloods. Unable to sway the others, he decided to leave the school. Now, according to legend, Slytherin had built a hidden chamber in this castle, known as the Chamber of Secrets. Well, shortly before departing, he sealed it, until that time when his own true heir returned to the school. The Heir alone would be able to open the Chamber, and unleash the horror within, and by so doing, purge the school of all those who, in Slytherin's view, were unworthy to study magic." McGonagall warned us as I chewed the bottom of my lip.

"Muggle-borns." Hermione hinted as I nodded my head. There's no way she was unworthy to study magic, she's the brightest witch I've ever met.

"Well, naturally the school has been searched many times. No such Chamber has been found." McGonagall hinted as she slowly walked back to her desk.