Chapter 9

Melissa's POV

Harry, Ron and Hermione are keeping something from me, I don't know what but I can sense it's either something to do with Draco or my father. Why else would they not include me? They have been really secretive of what they say as if they were walking on eggshells.

I was currently in a lesson and my father kindly joined the lesson to demonstrate how to disarm your opponent. "Gather 'round, gather 'round! Can everybody see me? Can you all hear me? Excellent! In light of the dark events of recent weeks, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little Dueling Club to train you all up in case you ever need to defend yourselves, as I myself have done on countless occasions- for full details, see my published works. Let me introduce my assistant, Professor Snape." Lockhart announced as my father walked in.

"He has sportingly agreed to help me with a short demonstration. Now, I don't want any of you youngsters to worry- you'll still have your Potions master when I'm through with him, never fear. One, two, three-" Before Lockhart could cast a single spell, my father casted his.

"Expelliarmus!" My father exclaims which led Lockhart to go shooting backwards into the air. There was a thud on the floor which signalised that Lockhart had collapsed onto the floor.

"Wooo! Go dad!" I cheered as my father sent a warm smile my way. I stood next to Ron as he laughed at Lockhart.

Hermione wonders if Lockhart is alright but nobody seems to care much for him. Lockhart then suggests that Ron and Harry should do a duel but my father objects with him, reminding Lockhart that Ron's wand was indeed broken. Therefore, my father suggested that Draco should go against Harry. I sent a questionable look towards my dad as I walk over to him. "Why didn't you suggest me? I would love to duel Harry." I clapped my hands together excitedly.

"Well, I have to give Harry a fair fighting chance." My father warns me as I nod accordingly. I then decided to switch my gaze towards my two friends who were duelling each other. Draco strutted up confidently as he smirked to himself.

Both Harry and Draco performed enchantments against each other and to be honest, I was impressed. There were points where both of them fell to the floor but they were equally resilient.

All of a sudden, Draco performs the spell "Serpensortia!" I exchange a worried look with my dad knowing far well that the spell Draco used would conjure a live snake. Draco confidently smirked at me as I rolled my eyes in frustration.

"Don't move, Potter. I'll get rid of it for you." My father announced as he strutted closer towards the snake.

However, Lockhart had other intentions. "Allow me, Professor Snape. Alarte ascendare!" Lockhart cried as a spark shot itself out of his wand straight at the snake. The snake just went flying into the air making it even more angrier. My heart raced faster as I came to the conclusion someone may get hurt.

I looked away for a spilt second to come face to face with Harry speaking Parseltongue! All I heard were sounds and whispers coming out from his mouth. I chewed my lip nervously as I watched the scene ahead of me. It definitely looked as if the snake understood everything Harry was saying.

My father quickly casted a spell to destroy the snake as he was worried for Justin's safety - the snake was getting far too close to him. "Vipera evenesca." My father said as the snake started to burn up and vanish into thin air. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

"What are you playing at?" Justin declares in a worried tone.

I then see Hermione, Ron and Harry wonder off to speak to him alone. I follow them accordingly as I budge past everyone that seemed to be in my way. I walked into the room when they were midway through their sentence. "Thanks for waiting up by the way." I sarcastically comment as I walk closer towards my friends.

"I spoke a different language? But- I didn't realize I- how can I speak a language without knowing I can?" Harry asks with concern present in his voice. It appeared to be that Harry had no clue that he could speak Parselmouth.

"I don't know, Harry, but it sounded like you were egging the snake on, or something. Harry, listen to me. There's a reason the symbol of Slytherin House is a serpent. Salazar Slytherin was a Parselmouth. He could talk to snakes, too." Hermione informs Harry as I adjust my robe.

"Exactly! Now the whole school's gonna think you're his great- great- great grandson, or something." Ron exclaimed with a concerned glance.

"But I'm not... I can't be." Harry said in defeat as he sighed deeply.

"He lived a thousand years ago; for all we know, you could be." Hermione declares as I fiddle with my fingers anxiously.

"That's highly unlikely." I comment as I look up at my friends.

"But it's not impossible." Hermione adjusts as I sigh in defeat.

  ——————

I was currently in the study hall sitting besides Harry. Ron and Hermione stood opposite us as we carried on writing down an essay that my father set. Everyone was giving Harry dirty looks and whispering to each other. Harry shifts uncomfortably in his seat. He then decides to close his book and pack up his things.

"I'll see you back in the common room." Harry announces but before he could stand up I gently grabbed his arm.

"Just ignore them. I know you're innocent because there's good in you. Do you want me to come with?" I ask with concern lacing in my voice.

Harry shakes his head which answers my question. "It's okay, I know you need to finish your work. Thank you for believing in me." Harry says calmly before he walks off.

As he walks away from the study hall, more people turn their heads towards Harry with nasty looks. I watch everyone turn their heads and it makes me frustrated.

"I'm sick of this." I whisper to Hermione and Ron before I quickly stand up on my seat so everyone can hear me. "Stop staring at Harry! It's creepy." I shout out as everyone quickly turn their heads back to their work. "That's what I thought." I announce as I proudly sit back down.

"You're mad." Ron comments as he sniggers.

"No. I'm protective over my friends." I clarify.