Chapter 10

Melissa's POV

It was after hours and I know I shouldn't be wondering around the corridors but I wanted to see Draco as Hermione, Ron and Harry were ignoring me and I couldn't take it anymore. I mean, they're supposed to be my best friends right? Anyways, I was heading towards the Slytherin common room, of course I knew where it was. I guess that's the perks of being the only daughter of Professor Snape. That and if anyone were to catch me, I can just use the excuse of looking for my father. Anyways, nobody in their right mindset wants to mess with Snape's daughter.

Therefore, I keep wondering along the corridor, being entirely focused on finding my way to the Slytherin common room. I turn many corners until I reach the dungeon where their common room was located. I quickly utter the password, looking both ways in case anyone were to bump into me. I rush inside the room immediately, not wanting to get caught. When I stepped in the common room, I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

"Melissa?!" Draco, Crabbe and Goyle all exclaimed at the exact same time.

"Well, if anyone in weren't aware of my name, they are sure to know it now." I sassily reply as Draco chuckles in response.

"What are you doing here?" Draco asks as I walk over to him, taking a seat next to him.

"Well, I had nowhere to go. You might just be the only friend I have left. Considering Ron, Hermione and Harry are ignoring me." I huff in response as I lean against the couch.

"Then I get you all to myself." Draco utters as he smirks proudly.

"Don't get your hopes up." I snigger as I roll my eyes. "So what are you guys talking about?" I ask as I glance towards Crabbe and Goyle who sat there uncomfortably.

"Nothing much, Melissa." Crabbe declares as he sends a warm smile my way.

I frown at what they call me. That's the second time Crabbe has called me Melissa and both of them only call me by my last name - Snape. I scrunch my eyebrows in disgust before I decide to speak up. "Melissa? You guys never call me Melissa." I declare as I shift uncomfortably in my seat.

"Oh...uh...we don't?" Goyle asks with confusion laced in his voice.

"Yeah, why are you starting to call me by my name now?" I question both of them.

They both seem to have lost their train of thoughts as they glance at each other worriedly. Somethings wrong. I mean sure, Crabbe and Goyle are usually awkward around me but it's never came to this state before.

"It must be because I speak so fondly of you. They must be warming up to you." Draco comments as he playfully punches my shoulder as I gently smile at him.

"Aww, you talk about me? How sweet." I comment mockingly. I chuckle at my own words whilst I lose my gaze in Draco's eyes as he does mine.

Goyle seems to interrupt our moment by clearing his throat. "Draco..you were telling us about the chamber of secrets." Goyle admits as he gestures for Draco to continue. Crabbe just sits there, awaiting for Draco to reply to Goyle's request.

"Well, my father did say this: It's been fifty years since the Chamber was opened. He wouldn't tell me who opened it- only that they were expelled. The last time the Chamber of Secrets was opened, a muggle born died." Draco admits as he keeps a dangerously tone in his voice. I glance at him worriedly as I chew my bottom lip nervously. This means Hermione could possibly be in danger and she's one of my best friends. Yes, we haven't spoken in a while but I still care for her well-being.

"But..Hermione. No...she can't- I can't lose her." I whisper to myself but Draco overhears me. He decides to move himself closer to me as he slips one of his hands into mine. He rubs gentle circles against the palm of my hands with one of his hands. He then decides to tuck a strand of my hair behind my ear.

"She's going to be okay. She's capable of protecting herself." Draco whispers calm words to me as I slowly nod along reluctantly.

"Come here." Draco gestures for me to hug him however, before I get the chance to, Goyle stands up objectifying the both of us. He growls deeply which leads to our gaze turning towards them.

"What's the matter with you two?! You're acting very odd." Draco declares as he stands up, demanding an answer. Despite being Draco, he never gets one. Both Crabbe and Goyle rush out of the Slytherin common room in a awful hurry.

"Hey! Where are you two going?" Draco shouts at them but they had already reached to the exit of the common room. I bring myself up to my feet as I stand next to Draco. 

"What odd minions they are." I simply state before heading off, glancing around the common room. 

"What are you doing?" Draco asks ever so innocently. 

"Well, since you asked ever so kindly, I am snooping around." I reply as I bring my finger to brush against my lips - shushing him. "I have to admit, there is beauty in the Slytherin common room." I comment as my gaze travels to the ceiling and the desks surrounding it. 

"I assume you mean me." Draco declares as he smirks proudly to himself knowing far well I was talking about the common room, not him. 

"Hmm, nice try." I say as my fingertips brush against the books on the shelf. I bite my lips nervously as I pick out a book with a dark green cover and a title of 'dangerous creatures.' I smirk to myself as I open the book to a random page, instantly landing on a page of a certain serpent king. My eyes scan over the contents of the book as realisation struck me. The possibility of the monster that lives in the chamber could be a basilisk. That's why everyone that's been attacked has been petrified. If you don't look directly into the eye of the basilisk, your current state will be changed to petrified. Nobody has yet looked directly into the eye of the basilisk, that's why nobody has died. 

I gulp as my eyes dart around the page of the basilisk and the more information I read, the more it makes sense. "Draco..I think I know what's hidden in the chamber." I whisper quietly as I didn't want anyone to overhear our conversation. 

"What?" Draco asks with concern lacing in his voice as he rushes over to me instantly. 

"Look, it's a basilisk!" I inform him as he skins the page quickly. His hot breath lingers on my neck as he concentrates on reading the information. As soon as he's done, I quickly grab a bookmark which was just sitting on the shelf. I place the dark green and silver bookmark on the basilisk page. "Can I borrow this? I need to show this to Hermione, just so I can be absolutely sure that the monster is a basilisk. Once I'm absolutely sure, I will inform Professor Dumbledore." I inform Draco urgently as I make direct eye contact with him. 

"Yeah, you can borrow it." Draco confirms so I send a grateful smile his way. 

"Thank you! I'll see you tomorrow!" I exclaim as I quickly dash out of the Slytherin common room. I yank open the door and rush out. My legs decide to move before me as I start running straight back to my own common room where I assumed Hermione would be. 

As I wonder along the hallway in a rush, I hear noises coming from the far corner. My eyes dart across the hallway as I grasp for a breath. My eyes start to widen as I realise what was coming. The basilisk. There's no way I could outrun it. Not when it has eyes that can kill. I search my brain for a protective spell, if I was going to be attacked by a hideous serpent then I would rather be petrified than murdered. 

I inhale a deep breath before the words slip from my mouth. "Protego." It was a shield spell and it's invisible so if I were to look into the eyes of the basilisk, at least I wouldn't be looking at it directly. 

I slowly but surely decide to turn around to face the slithering monster before me. My fingers started fidgeting subconsciously and my gaze was still upon the floor in front of me. I reluctantly glanced up slowly and I saw what I thought the monster would be. The terrifying fright hovered above me, a basilisk. Capable of living for hundreds of years, capable of making a kill without even flinching. With one murderous stare and a slight scream that left my lips, I collapsed to the floor with a thud.