118: The Truth

"What happened, Harry, Emma?" the man asked at last as he liftedHarry and me up the stone steps. Clunk. Clunk. Clunk. It was Mad-EyeMoody.

 "Cup was a Portkey," said Harry as they crossed the entrancehall. "Took me, Emma and Cedric to a graveyard . . . and Voldemort wasthere . . . Lord Voldemort . . ." 

Clunk. Clunk. Clunk. Up the marble stairs . . . 

"The Dark Lord was there? What happened then?"

 "Killed Cedric . . . they killed Cedric. . . ."

 "And then?"

 Clunk. Clunk. Clunk. Along the corridor . . .

 "Made a potion . . . got his body back. . . ." 

"The Dark Lord got his body back? He's returned?"

 "And the Death Eaters came . . . and then we dueled. . . ." 

"You dueled with the Dark Lord?" 

"Got away . . . our wands . . . did something funny. . . . we saw our mum and dad . . . they came out of his wand. . . ." 

"In here, Harry, Emma . . . in here, and sit down. . . . You'll be all rightnow . . . drink this. . . ." 

I heard a key scrape in a lock and felt a cup being pushedinto my hands.

 "Drink it . . . you'll feel better . . . come on, now, Harry,Emma, I needto know exactly what happened. . . ."

 Moody helped tip the stuff down my throat; Harry coughed beside me, apeppery taste burning my throat. Moody's office came into sharper focus, and so did Moody himself. . . . He looked as white as Fudgehad looked, and both eyes were fixed unblinkingly upon Harry and my face. 

"Voldemort's back, Harry, Emma? You're sure he's back? How did hedo it?" 

"He took stuff from his father's grave, and from Wormtail, and us," said Harry. My head felt clearer; my scar wasn't hurting sobadly; I could now see Moody's face distinctly, even though theoffice was dark. I could still hear screaming and shouting fromthe distant Quidditch field. 

"What did the Dark Lord take from you?" said Moody. 

"Blood,"I said, raising my arm. My sleeve was rippedwhere Wormtail's dagger had torn it.

 Moody let out his breath in a long, low hiss."And the Death Eaters? They returned?" 

"Yes," said Harry. "Loads of them . . ." 

"How did he treat them?" Moody asked quietly. "Did he forgivethem?" 

But I had suddenly remembered. I should have toldDumbledore, I should have said it straightaway — 

"There's a Death Eater at Hogwarts! There's a Death Eaterhere — they put Harry's name in the Goblet of Fire, they made sure he got through to the end —They made sure I knew that Voldermort--" I tried to get up, but Moody pushed me back down.

 "I know who the Death Eater is," he said quietly. 

"Karkaroff?" said Harry wildly. "Where is he? Have you got him?Is he locked up?" 

"Karkaroff?" said Moody with an odd laugh. "Karkaroff fledtonight, when he felt the Dark Mark burn upon his arm. He betrayed too many faithful supporters of the Dark Lord to wish tomeet them . . . but I doubt he will get far. The Dark Lord has waysof tracking his enemies." 

"Karkaroff's gone? He ran away? But then — he didn't put Harry's name in the goblet?"

 "No," said Moody slowly. "No, he didn't. It was I who did that."