79: Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs [Pt.2]

Hermione  screamed. Black leapt to his feet. I felt asthough I'd received a huge electric shock.

 "I found this at the base of the Whomping Willow," said Snape,throwing the cloak aside, careful to keep this wand pointing directly at Lupin's chest. "Very useful, Potter, I thank you. . . ." 

Snape was slightly breathless, but his face was full of suppressedtriumph. "You're wondering, perhaps, how I knew you were here?"he said, his eyes glittering. "I've just been to your office, Lupin. Youforgot to take your potion tonight, so I took a gobletful along. Andvery lucky I did . . . lucky for me, I mean. Lying on your desk wasa certain map. One glance at it told me all I needed to know. I sawyou running along this passageway and out of sight."

 "Severus —" Lupin began, but Snape overrode him."I've told the headmaster again and again that you're helpingyour old friend Black into the castle, Lupin, and here's the proof. Not even I dreamed you would have the nerve to use this old placeas your hideout —"

 "Severus, you're making a mistake," said Lupin urgently. "Youhaven't heard everything — I can explain — Sirius is not here tokill Harry and Emma —" 

"Two more for Azkaban tonight," said Snape, his eyes nowgleaming fanatically. "I shall be interested to see how Dumbledoretakes this. . . . He was quite convinced you were harmless, youknow, Lupin . . . a tame werewolf —" 

"You fool," said Lupin softly. "Is a schoolboy grudge worthputting an innocent man back inside Azkaban?" 

BANG! Thin, snakelike cords burst from the end of Snape'swand and twisted themselves around Lupin's mouth, wrists, andankles; he overbalanced and fell to the floor, unable to move.

 Witha roar of rage, Black started toward Snape, but Snape pointed hiswand straight between Black's eyes."Give me a reason," he whispered. "Give me a reason to do it,and I swear I will."Black stopped dead. It would have been impossible to say whichface showed more hatred. 

I stood there, paralyzed, not knowing what to do or whomto believe. I glanced around at Harry. Ron and Hermione. Harry was shaking, Ron lookedjust as confused as I did, still fighting to keep hold on the struggling Scabbers. Hermione, however, took an uncertain step towardSnape and said, in a very breathless voice, "Professor Snape — it —it wouldn't hurt to hear what they've got to say, w — would it?" 

"Miss Granger, you are already facing suspension from thisschool," Snape spat. "You, Potter, and Weasley are out-of-bounds, Ms Potter I expected better of you. Ms Granger you have been found in  the company of a convicted murderer and a werewolf. For oncein your life, hold your tongue.

"But if — if there was a mistake —" 

"KEEP QUIET, YOU STUPID GIRL!" Snape shouted, lookingsuddenly quite deranged. "DON'T TALK ABOUT WHAT YOUDON'T UNDERSTAND!" A few sparks shot out of the end of hiswand, which was still pointed at Black's face. 

Hermione fell silent. 

"Vengeance is very sweet," Snape breathed at Black. "How Ihoped I would be the one to catch you. . . ." 

"The joke's on you again, Severus," Black snarled. "As long asthis boy brings his rat up to the castle" — he jerked his head atRon — "I'll come quietly. . . ." 

"Up to the castle?" said Snape silkily. "I don't think we need togo that far. All I have to do is call the dementors once we get out ofthe Willow. They'll be very pleased to see you, Black . . . pleasedenough to give you a little kiss, I daresay. . . ." 

What little color there was in Black's face left it. 

"You — you've got to hear me out," he croaked. "The rat —look at the rat —"