41: Christmas

At last the term ended, and a silence deep as the snow on thegrounds descended on the castle.  found it peaceful, ratherthan gloomy, and enjoyed the fact that me, Draco,Crabbe and the Goyle had the run of Slytherin Tower, which meant we could play Exploding Snap loudly without bothering anyone, and practice dueling in private.

 Christmas morning dawned, cold and white. I was,the only one left in my dormitory, excited for my first Christmas with the slytherins,I burst in Draco's dorm, fully dressed and carrying presents for Draco."Wake up," I said loudly, pulling back the curtains at the window."Emma — you're not supposed to be in here —" said Draco,shielding his eyes against the light."Merry Christmas to you, too," I said rolling my eyes, throwing him his present. "Hurry up" I ordered. "I don't want to miss a second." "Caught up in the Christmas spirit are we?" Draco chuckled, yawning. 

"Shut up."

No one, could fail to enjoy Christmas dinner at Hogwarts.The Great Hall looked magnificent. Not only were there a dozen frost-covered Christmas trees and thick streamers of holly and mistletoe crisscrossing the ceiling, but enchanted snow was falling,warm and dry, from the ceiling. Dumbledore led us in a few of his favourite carols, Hagrid booming more and more loudly with every goblet of eggnog he consumed. 

It lasted an entire day, I may have given up hope that things were going to be ok between my brother and myself, but that doesn't mean I've stopped paying attention. I saw Hermione usher Ron and Harry out, I narrow my eyes at them, this would have been the perfect time to use the polyjuice potion....but would they when I was there? 

"I need to go for a walk" groaned Draco clutching his sweater, as I came back from wishing Hagrid a Merry Christmas. He while showed his doubt, told me I was still my parents kid, and there was no way I could turn out evil. Mr and Mrs Weasly were also amazing, Fred and George must have told them, because miraculously Mrs Weasly whipped up the most comfortable green sweater, with a silver S at the back. "Me too" I laugh, "why did the food have to be so good?" "Oi" called Draco to crabbe and Goyle, who were still pigging away. "Leave it" I groaned, Walking out of the great hall. 

Snow was falling lightly, and I missed the toastiness of the Hall, but it was still beautiful, half an hour passed and I was making my way back to the common room. "Pureblood" I called, Draco had gone to find his minions. While the Slytherin Common room was dark, and somewhat melanchony it also gave me a sense of home. 

I came back from my dormitory to Crabbe, Goyle and Draco sitting on the lavish couch. Goyle was saying "You must have some idea who's behind it all. . . ." "You asked that yesterday" I said narrowing my eyes as I came to sprawl in an armchair "you can't possibly have such a horrible memory." 

Goyle was staring at me, "what?" I snapped, "nothing..." he said "nothing." "You know I haven't, Goyle, how many times do I have to tell you?" snapped Draco. "And Father won't tell me anything about the last time the Chamber was opened either. Of course, it was fifty years ago, so it was before his time, but he knows all about it, and he says that it was all kept quiet and it'll look suspicious if I know too much about it. But I know one thing — last time the Chamber of Secrets was opened, a Mudblood died. So I bet it's a matter of time before one of them's killed this time." I wasn't listening I was staring at Crabbe and Goyle who looked more lost than ever. 

Could it be...'

Then I noticed Crabbe was blushing...and his hair was turning--Red. 

Ron. 

 His nose was also slowly lengthening, Ron was turning back into himself, and from the lookof horror he was suddenly giving Harry, he was too.They both jumped to their feet."Medicine for my stomach," Ron grunted, and without further ado they sprinted the length of the Slytherin common room,hurled themselves at the stone wall, and dashed up the passage, 

"What's up with them?" asked Draco. "No clue' I whisper as I jumped up and followed them. 

"She's onto us" I heard Ron pant, I saw them dash into the girls bathroom and I followed them silently, "she didn't follow us did she?" gasped Harry, "she did." I said, stepping out of the shadows making them jump.

"You really are idiots." I scoffed, "you seriously thought I wouldn't figure you out?" They shuffled guiltily, "where's Hermione?" I asked, "are you going to tell a teacher?" asked Ron, "no" I laughed "unlike you, I'm not an idiot. They'll ask how I knew. And I'll get in trouble too." "That's the  only reason?" whispered Harry.

"It's the only one I'm telling you. Now, where's hermione?"

"Why do you care?"

I glared at them "I want to make sure you lot don't try being stupid again. In this case, I'll get in trouble too. I'll ask again; Where. Is. Hermione?"

"Go away!"I hear Hermione squeak. 

Harry and Ron looked at each other."What's the matter?" said Ron. "You must be back to normal bynow, we are —"But Moaning Myrtle glided suddenly through the stall door. I had never seen her looking so happy."Ooooooh, wait till you see," she said. "It's awful —"They heard the lock slide back and Hermione emerged, sobbing, her robes pulled up over her head."What's up?" I said uncertainly. "Have you still got Millicent's nose or something?"Hermione let her robes fall and Ron and Harry backed into the sink, my eyes popped.Her face was covered in black fur. Her eyes had turned yellowand there were long, pointed ears poking through her hair."It was a c-cat hair!" she howled. "M-Millicent Bulstrode m-must have a cat! And the p-potion isn't supposed to be used foranimal transformations!" I scoffed "How do you not know the difference?" I groaned "even the smallest cat hair smells like fish."

 "Uh-oh," said Ron."You'll be teased something dreadful," said Myrtle happily."It's okay, Hermione," said Harry quickly. "We'll take you up tothe hospital wing. Madam Pomfrey never asks too many questions. . . ."It took a long time to persuade Hermione to leave the bathroom. Moaning Myrtle sped us on their way with a hearty guffaw. "Wait till everyone finds out you've got a tail!" "Go weep about your death somewhere" I scoffed "and will you hurry up? No one's about."

Out of the corner of my eye, I spot a dark green book.

A diary.