31: The Sorting Hat's mistake

Dinner came finally. It was a tiring first day. I sit by Ginny listening to her talk all about how it had felt to be in Gryffindor, the pride, and the feeling which just told you it was right. I looked back on my own sorting. "You could be great you know....Slytherin is where you make your real friends...oh well, if your sure..." I wasn't sure. I just- after hearing all the things about slytherin and just wanting to be normal I ignored the sorting hat's voice urging me to reconsider my choice. "Oh, well" it had said "you'll be back." I didn't think much about it then, but after listening to Ginny it made me wonder what it meant. 

I silently climbed up with stairs to the astronomy, I had looked almost longingly at the Slytherin table while the sorting, was it possible I didn't belong in Gryffindor? No-no..the Sorting Hat wouldn't let that happen. Right? I caught a flash of blonde hair. "Hey dray" I say with a slight smile. "I thought I told you not to call me 'Dray'?" he groaned, making me chuckle. "It's a nice name" I say defensively. We settled into our usual comfortable silence, not at all pertrubed by today's incident. "Dray" I whisper.

"Hmm?"

"Is-is it possible-that the sorting Hat makes a mistake?"

He stared at me. "why?"

"Just answer the  question"

"Ems, I'm not really sure. There have been cases, my father says. Who were either found out to be squibs, or 're-sorted'

"Re-Sorted?"

" The sorting happens again."

"Really?"

"Yeah, I think so...why?"

I stare at the stars. "Emma" he said quietly "Do you feel that you don't belong in your house?"

I say nothing, my lips are unable to form the words 'I don't know.'

***

On the Weekend Harry had to leave early, so me, ron, hermione went down for breakfast. I stayed a little back, not wanting to hear the bickering between the two, if Lockhart was a fraud or honest. I have no evidence, but I'm pretty sure he's taking credit for someone else's work. I hear a loud voice "you have no right to call him that!"I follow the voice to the source. 

Ginny was blocking a first year hufflepuff from a couple of second- year Ravenclaws. "Well he is a Mudblood" sneered a boy, drawing out his wand, but I'm quicker. "If a spell comes out of your mouth" I warned coldly "I will make sure you cannot speak again" the boys eyed the wand in my hand, before scowling and turning. 

"Are you alright?" asks Ginny, the boy nods greatfully. "You were really brave Ginny" I say with a smile as I watch her help the boy up. "If you don't mind" I add "what does Mudblood mean?" She went still, and waited for the boy to run into the great hall before answering "It's a foul name given to Muggle Borns" she said  quietly "It means bad blood"

I knew the wizarding world, had it's prejuidices, I thought as I watched Ginny join her friends, and I turn to join my mine for toast but this was horrible. The Muggle World had similar prejuidices as well, I suppose the two worlds aren't as drastic as I thought. I sat next to Ron and Hermione watching the gryffindor team troop out. 

"Aren't you finished yet?" called Ron incredulously."Haven't even started," said Harry, looking jealously at the toastand marmalade Ron and Hermione and I had brought out of the GreatHall. "Wood's been teaching us new moves."He mounted his broomstick and kicked at the ground, soaringup into the air. "What's that funny clicking noise?" called Fred as they hurtledaround the corner.Harry looked into the stands. Colin was sitting in one of thehighest seats, his camera raised, taking picture after picture, thesound strangely magnified in the deserted stadium. I rolled my eyes. "Look this way, Harry! This way!" he cried shrilly."Who's that?" said Fred."No idea," Harry lied, putting on a spurt of speed that took himas far away as possible from Colin.