32: History Matters

Laughter, eye rolling. It was hard to think why Slytherin was considered the 'evil' house. I want to be part of the laugh- No. no, no, no. Moving on, I had pondered weather to forgive Draco or not. I told Hagrid and Harry this. "After what he called Hermione?" hagrid had said aghast, "Emma, yer don' need to think about the matter. Judging people by blood-"

"You did it."

He looked surprised at this "Eh?"

"In Florish and Blotts. You said the Malfoy's were 'bad blood'. Mudblood basically means that. What's the difference."

"Well," said Harry struggling to come up with an answer "we weren't judging them because of their blood-"

"Maybe not, but you were judging them by their family name. Not all Malfoys are bad you know. And you judge Slytherin because of Voldermort. How is it any better?"

They had nothing to say to that.

My footsteps were quite on the astronomy tower. Last year I would I have punched Draco right then and there, but something inside me told me to wait. See, what he had to say. He was waiting there as usual, tearing a hand through his hair. "Hi, Draco" I said quietly. He froze and turned slowly. "I-I didn't think you'd come" he whispered. "You hoped?" I asked, he looked me straight in eye "I did." I joined him at the ledge, "do you really think people who have muggles for parents are inferior?" I said quietly. 

he blew air from his mouth. "It was one of the things I was raised to believe." he whispered "along with thinking rich families are..better." 

I leaned over the ledge. "Same way some people are raised to believe Slytherin is evil?" I whisper, he nodded. "Do you think that it's wrong?" I asked, "well, I've always thought it was a little ridiculous" he said "but it was what I was raised to believe." "I suppose I can understand that." I said, he flashed me a smile "so...friends?" he asked "friends." I agreed. Then I heard a something--It was a voice, a voice to chill the bone marrow, a voice of breathtaking, ice-cold venom. In my mind... "

Come . . . come to me. . . . Let me rip you. . . . Let me tearyou. . . . Let me kill you. . . ."

"What?" I breathed.

"Hmm?" asked Draco "what's up?"

"THat voice! I-"

He looked puzzled "Ems, what are you talking about."

"I-" then I yelled, and would've nearly fallen over the ledge if Draco hadn't caught me. "My-my scar" I whispered. "I-oh god! it's burning!"

"Emma-"

"Did you hear that voice?"

"What voice? Emma, you need the hospital wing!"

"No, I don't! They won't know what to do."

"Then where-"

"nowhere! I'm fine."

"You're shivering, of course your not fine-" My scaring had stopped burning but it felt like all of my body heat was gone. Draco helped me up, one hand was wrapped around my waist, the other he used to loop my right hand around his neck. Together we hobbled down stairs, "I can't help you in your common room" Draco told me, "But-Watch it!" We had nearly bumped into someone, a messy black hair, green eyes, bespectacled someone.

"Potter" snarled Draco. "Malfoy" Harry growled "what did you do to my sister?" "he didn't do anything Harry, I-" I stumbled Draco caught me again, "My scar hurt" I continued when I regained my balance, "and I hear a weird voice, in my head-" he looked at me sharply "you heard a voice too?" he asked, I stared. "I'll take her from here Malfoy" said my brother. Harry took over Draco's position. 

"I still think you should tell someone ems." Draco said, I shook my head "they wouldn't know what to do." 

"So, the voice" said Harry as we hobbled back to our common room. "What exactly did it say?' "I-it said- Come . . . come to me. . . . Let me rip you. . . . Let me tear you. . . . Let me kill you. . . ." Harry looked at me, "me too" he whispered. "But...i heard it..not in my mind" I cocked my head at him, "like how you hear normal people talking...like that." Then a memory came flashing..A boa constrictor, Zoo, Dudley's birthday..."Like the boa" I whispered. 

"What?"

"Remember Dudley's birthday last to last year?" I asked he nodded "you were talking to the snake" I said "I heard his voice in my mind." Harry stared at me "so...it's a snake?" he asked "i don't know..."