97: Goblet of Fire

"I don't believe it!" Draco said, in a stunned voice, as the Hogwartsstudents filed back up the steps behind the party from Durmstrang. "Krum, Emma! Viktor Krum!"

 "For heaven's sake, Dray, he's only a Quidditch player," I said. 

"Only a Quidditch player?" Dray said, looking at her as though hecouldn't believe his ears. "Emma— he's one of the best Seekersin the world! I had no idea he was still at school!" 

As we recrossed the entrance hall with the rest of the Hogwartsstudents heading for the Great Hall, I saw Lee Jordan jumping up and down on the soles of his feet to get a better look at theback of Krum's head. Several sixth-year girls were frantically searching their pockets as they walked — 

"Oh I don't believe it, I haven't got a single quill on me —" 

"D'you think he'd sign my hat in lipstick?"

"Really," I said loftily as they passed the girls, nowsquabbling over the lipstick.

 "I'm getting his autograph if I can," said Nicholas. "You haven't got aquill, have you, Zoe?" 

"Nope, they're upstairs in my bag," said Zoe. 

We walked over to the Slytherin table and sat down. Draco took care to sit on the side facing the doorway, because Krum andhis fellow Durmstrang students were still gathered around it, apparently unsure about where they should sit. The students from Beauxbatons had chosen seats at the Ravenclaw table. They were lookingaround the Great Hall with glum expressions on their faces. Threeof them were still clutching scarves and shawls around their heads. 

"It's not that cold," said Zoe defensively. "Why didn't theybring cloaks?""Over here! Come and sit over here!" Draco hissed. "Over here!Yes--"

 Viktor Krum and his fellow Durmstrang students had settledthemselves at the Slytherin table.  Draco, Crabbe,and Goyle were looking very smug about this. As I watched, Draco bent forward to speak to Krum. 

Zoe snorted. 

"They look a lot happier than the Beauxbatons lot," I said.The Durmstrang students were pulling off their heavy furs andlooking up at the starry black ceiling with expressions of interest; acouple of them were picking up the golden plates and goblets andexamining them, apparently impressed.

 Up at the staff table, Filch, the caretaker, was adding chairs. Hewas wearing his moldy old tailcoat in honor of the occasion. I was surprised to see that he added four chairs, two on either side ofDumbledore's. 

"But there are only two extra people," I said. "Why's Filchputting out four chairs, who else is coming?" 

"Eh?" said Nicholas vaguely. He was still staring avidly at Krum. 

When all the students had entered the Hall and settled down attheir House tables, the staff entered, filing up to the top table andtaking their seats. Last in line were Professor Dumbledore, Professor Karkaroff, and Madame Maxime. When their headmistress appeared, the pupils from Beauxbatons leapt to their feet. A few ofthe Hogwarts students laughed. The Beauxbatons party appearedquite unembarrassed, however, and did not resume their seats until Madame Maxime had sat down on Dumbledore's left-hand side. 

Dumbledore remained standing, and a silence fell over the GreatHall."Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, ghosts and — most particularly — guests," said Dumbledore, beaming around at the foreignstudents. "I have great pleasure in welcoming you all to Hogwarts. Ihope and trust that your stay here will be both comfortable andenjoyable."

One of the Beauxbatons girls still clutching a muffler around herhead gave what was unmistakably a derisive laugh.

 "No one's making you stay!" I whispered, bristling ather.